Ghost gramma

Beretta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a royal gramma and I am not sure how long a fish can survive without eating. I have a nano 13.5 tank with a mandarin, clown and a few anemones. I have been feeding copepods to my dragonet as well as feeding my clown mysis and pellets but gramma is always a no show at feeding time. I fear she will end up getting buried under my live rock due to the pumps. I just hope she comes out eventually. Any thoughts? I have also purchased garlic to help entice him to come out and eat but nothing is working.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a royal gramma and I am not sure how long a fish can survive without eating. I have a nano 13.5 tank with a mandarin, clown and a few anemones. I have been feeding copepods to my dragonet as well as feeding my clown mysis and pellets but gramma is always a no show at feeding time. I fear she will end up getting buried under my live rock due to the pumps. I just hope she comes out eventually. Any thoughts? I have also purchased garlic to help entice him to come out and eat but nothing is working.
Most fish will be able to go quite a few months without eating, you may find you’re scaring him off during feeding and the reason he won’t come out is because he isn’t used to you :)
I’ve found Grammas like to hide in the rocks but come out when you don’t see them, this is especially true when it comes to a nearly introduced gramma.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my gramma usually eats behind the rocks. Sometimes I see him dart out to grab a bite then dart right back into the cave. He very rarely comes out in the open.

I don't stand beside the tank when feeding, most of my fish won't eat if I'm standing right there, they won't move from their spot. I drop food and take 3 big steps backward.

OP
OP
Beretta

Beretta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: She has came out of hiding.. I put some mysis in there that I thawed out and soaked in selcon and I was pleased to see her come out and take a few for herself. I just happened to catch a glimpse of her and it wasn’t long before she went back under the rock. It seems that some fish take longer than others to adjust. She is definitely a little baby and such a beautiful sight.

Last edited:

Subliminal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my gramma usually eats behind the rocks. Sometimes I see him dart out to grab a bite then dart right back into the cave. He very rarely comes out in the open.

I don't stand beside the tank when feeding, most of my fish won't eat if I'm standing right there, they won't move from their spot. I drop food and take 3 big steps backward.
That sucks. I think it’d hurt my feelings if my fish didn’t get excited to see me.

OP
OP
Beretta

Beretta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. I think it’d hurt my feelings if my fish didn’t get excited to see me.
It’s definitely not a thrill to see her hiding most of the day under a rock. Though, seeing her come out to eat is quite satisfying.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as she is eating. I had a pair where one went into hiding for months. I couldn't tell if it was able to grab a flake here or there, but definite was not eating like the other pair. It finally passed and looking back at my post, it lived for over 5 months with little to no food. That's a long time for a fish to eventually starve.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s completely opposite from my fish .
They all come front and centre as soon as I am close knowing it’s food time .

The only time everyone hides is when I put a net in the water

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back