giesemann 72" infinity fixture too much light??

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using a 72" giesemann infinity light fixture 3- phoenix 250w 14k bulbs and 4 60" 80 watt t5's.. 2 of the t5's are ATI blue + and the other 2 are actinic+ bulbs

I'm currently running this light fixture above a 220 gallon reeftank 72" x 24" x 30" I just recently put in some sps frags and they are having a very hard time adjusting to this light. They lost most of their color within 2 weeks and I'm thinking this light might be too much for them. Currently my light fixture is 10" off the water surface and the time schedule is:
actinic on at 10am
Mh on at noon
Mh off at 6pm
Actinic off at 8pm
Does anyone have any ideas what i can possibly do? Hate to reduce light schedule even more but will if i have to.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd look into a par meter first off.

Then in the mean time, shorten the photo period. Start with the mh's and stagger the t5s.

Consider raising the light as well. But if it's aestheticly pleasing where it is, just shorten the photo periods .
It is a lot of light.

Worst case really, you save yourself burn time on the bulbs.

OP
OP
Toomnymods

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd look into a par meter first off.

Then in the mean time, shorten the photo period. Start with the mh's and stagger the t5s.

Consider raising the light as well. But if it's aestheticly pleasing where it is, just shorten the photo periods .
It is a lot of light.

Worst case really, you save yourself burn time on the bulbs.

I went ahead and shortened the t5 by 1 hr as well as the mh by 1 hr.. Would the Neptune parmeter work decently?

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started running MH coming from LED I ran them for 4 hours to start and would run my t5 lights for 12. Over the next several months I adjusted those times I'm now at 7 hours MH and 10 T5. I think the can really blast the corals at the start and you should ease into them.

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm considering this fixture. I know each MH needs its own ballast. What do the cords coming out of the fixture look like to support this? One cord coming out the side at each of the MH "stations"? Three cords coming out the end? Something else? Photo would be much appreciated.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and shortened the t5 by 1 hr as well as the mh by 1 hr.. Would the Neptune parmeter work decently?
You need to keep them like that for a while until they get better. Perhaps 4 to 5 days and increase an hour a week for the next couple of weeks. the halides themselves are what causes the shock! The T5s much less..
It's just too hard to suggest not knowing exactly where they came from and what type/history of lights they were used to.
Nowadays the corals are at the store with blue LEDs. Spectrum itself will shock the corals!!! Not to talk about intensity and distribution.
Your fixture is one of the best in the market and it's just a matter f time/adjustments so the corals could get used to them. Phoenix and Blue Plus!! Great!!
Just take your time and be wise...
New corals should be placed in the shades of the rocks when they get in for the first week or so.
Grandis.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back