Giesemann Aurora User Thread

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you end up getting one, don’t be afraid to contact me. I’ll walk you through so your an expert. No need to waste anytime figuring it out like I did. But you need an android device or a Mac computer to really use it

johnnyk731

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you end up getting one, don’t be afraid to contact me. I’ll walk you through so your an expert. No need to waste anytime figuring it out like I did. But you need an android device or a Mac computer to really use it

Yeah I have a Mac desktop but it’s in another room which makes it inconvenient

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0B14FA3E-26ED-46EC-BEEF-C572167419E6.jpeg

The guts and a cat named pickles

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally bought a $65 tablet that was useless cause it was so slow and underpowered. I ended up with a $300 Samsung tablet cause I couldn’t handle the delay from the cheap one.

johnnyk731

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0B14FA3E-26ED-46EC-BEEF-C572167419E6.jpeg

The guts and a cat named pickles

I’ll check the build tread out mine is a work in progress and posted on a different forum once I get it all squared away I’ll do one here. Thanks for the offers I’ll certainly ask questions if I buy one.

johnnyk731

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s on order and will be here Monday! Plus 4 giesemann aqua blue coral bulbs.

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Mine came with the wrong hanging kit at first but coral vue sent one right out. Did you get an android tablet to run it, or a Mac?

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Mac is going to need to be close enough to Bluetooth to it FYI. If not you will need a tablet. You can get a $50 one at Best Buy but you will hate how slow it is. It will not run on an ipad

johnnyk731

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Mine came with the wrong hanging kit at first but coral vue sent one right out. Did you get an android tablet to run it, or a Mac?

We have the 27 inch Mac desktop should suffice until I’m sick of running back and forth from
Room to room!

johnnyk731

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Mac is going to need to be close enough to Bluetooth to it FYI. If not you will need a tablet. You can get a $50 one at Best Buy but you will hate how slow it is. It will not run on an ipad

My wife bought me a galaxy tab a for super cheap yesterday while I was out fishing. Plus as a sweet surprise the ups man cane with my lights! Maybe I’ll get time to set them up or at least in the garage and burn in the bulbs. Any recommendations on burn in? Never had to do this before. I’m scared to burn in over the tank.

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I hung the fixture a few weeks before I finished the build and got it wet so I just ran them on about 50% then 75% for a bit.

1B5173AF-58AD-4B91-B057-9CD2E64A734E.jpeg
I think so long as you go slow you will be ok. Is it a new tank or established?

johnnyk731

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I hung the fixture a few weeks before I finished the build and got it wet so I just ran them on about 50% then 75% for a bit.

1B5173AF-58AD-4B91-B057-9CD2E64A734E.jpeg
I think so long as you go slow you will be ok. Is it a new tank or established?
Tank has been up for a year. I read lights should be ran at 100 percent to burn in to get the longevity from the bulbs. I just don't want to burn my tank out. And I'm not worried done the road for bulbs changes for the tank will then be acclimated to the new fixture

jon99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, it’s just the T5’s that need to be burned in, not the leds. Turn the leds way down and run the t5’s 100%. This shouldn’t burn any coral (most of the light intensity on the fixture comes from the leds) but I guess it all depends on what you have lighting your coral right now.

Here is some info I found in an older thread from ATI pertaining to T5 bulbs and burning them in:

“Brand new lamps have a burn in period of 50 hours. During this time they should not be dimmed; if using a dimmable fixture. They may also illuminate inconsistently or flicker during this period. Don't worry this is perfectly Normal.”

I got the 60” aurora from BRS on Black Friday a year ago! It’s been great!

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, it’s just the T5’s that need to be burned in, not the leds. Turn the leds way down and run the t5’s 100%. This shouldn’t burn any coral (most of the light intensity on the fixture comes from the leds) but I guess it all depends on what you have lighting your coral right now.

Here is some info I found in an older thread from ATI pertaining to T5 bulbs and burning them in:

“Brand new lamps have a burn in period of 50 hours. During this time they should not be dimmed; if using a dimmable fixture. They may also illuminate inconsistently or flicker during this period. Don't worry this is perfectly Normal.”

I got the 60” aurora from BRS on Black Friday a year ago! It’s been great!
Yes, burn in only applies to the T5 bulbs. I got a piece of window screen and put over the tank just to make sure nothing gets bleached.

sayitfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ordered an Aurora directly from Giesemann? I really want the Polar White version... and I cannot find it in the US?

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try contacting @Broadfield he can order one for you. He ordered mine for me

Has anyone ordered an Aurora directly from Giesemann? I really want the Polar White version... and I cannot find it in the US?

Yep, just send me a message... I can get you one in white. There is an additional charge for importing the custom color though.... usually an extra $160 0r so, depending on the size of fixture.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up for a year. I read lights should be ran at 100 percent to burn in to get the longevity from the bulbs. I just don't want to burn my tank out. And I'm not worried done the road for bulbs changes for the tank will then be acclimated to the new fixture
Also, you can raise the fixture higher off the tank while you burn the bulbs in if you are using the hanging kit.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%

Back