Giesemann Aurora User Thread

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The transformers are for the T5s. The reason you got 2 if because you have 80W T5's. It is not recommended to run wattage close to max rating on a transformer. You want 50% overhead. You use one for each T5 plug. If you only have one T5 plug then BRS must have sent you an extra by mistake.
Actually I think there are no "transformers" in my box, they are the power supplies for the LED's. The instruction manual I got has a section for "PSU", the 48" and 60" versions have 2 power supplies to take wall voltage and switch to 24VDC for the LED's. Pretty sure I'm just missing the step down (UP) transformer for the T5. The transformer @jon99 sent the link to was rated for 500W which would handle the 4x80W bulbs I think.

IMG_1437.jpg

thanks for all the feedback folks, love to have a place to ask questions.

jon99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I think there are no "transformers" in my box, they are the power supplies for the LED's. The instruction manual I got has a section for "PSU", the 48" and 60" versions have 2 power supplies to take wall voltage and switch to 24VDC for the LED's. Pretty sure I'm just missing the step down (UP) transformer for the T5. The transformer @jon99 sent the link to was rated for 500W which would handle the 4x80W bulbs I think.

IMG_1437.jpg

thanks for all the feedback folks, love to have a place to ask questions.

Pedro,
I'm not sure your light is missing the transformer or that you want to get one for it. I remember reading an old thread when I was researching this light and someone was writing about being disappointed that the t5's were not dimmable with the 80w bulbs (60 and 72" models). It's possible that the older version of the aurora (that you have) has a 110v t5 ballast that is not dimmable. Maybe they changed that up for the newer version (I just got my light in Nov.) Stepping up a ballast that is meant to be run on 110v to 220v will burn it out quickly. Do a little digging before you try.

If you did end up with a non-dimmable t5 version, I would not be too bummed out. After playing around with this light for the last month, I run the t5's at 100% almost the entire time they are on. It's the dimming capability of the leds that gives the cool dawn and dusk effect with the crazy glowing colors. The t5's come on mid day for about 6 hours and quickly ramp up to 100% and stay there. I'm know there are many different opinions ad ways to run these lights, but I don't see a huge benefit to dimming t5 bulbs when they are just supplemental light to the leds.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pedro,
I'm not sure your light is missing the transformer or that you want to get one for it. I remember reading an old thread when I was researching this light and someone was writing about being disappointed that the t5's were not dimmable with the 80w bulbs (60 and 72" models). It's possible that the older version of the aurora (that you have) has a 110v t5 ballast that is not dimmable. Maybe they changed that up for the newer version (I just got my light in Nov.) Stepping up a ballast that is meant to be run on 110v to 220v will burn it out quickly. Do a little digging before you try.

If you did end up with a non-dimmable t5 version, I would not be too bummed out. After playing around with this light for the last month, I run the t5's at 100% almost the entire time they are on. It's the dimming capability of the leds that gives the cool dawn and dusk effect with the crazy glowing colors. The t5's come on mid day for about 6 hours and quickly ramp up to 100% and stay there. I'm know there are many different opinions ad ways to run these lights, but I don't see a huge benefit to dimming t5 bulbs when they are just supplemental light to the leds.

Thanks, I wasn't planning on just firing away :), I will check and get with CoralVue or BRS and see. I'm not too worried about it, just trying to figure out what I actually have. Thanks again for the help.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using two Blue+ and two Coral +

I am also currently running 2 ATI Blue Plus and 2 Giesemann AquaBlue Coral.

Curious if you guys run the 2 types of bulbs together (both coral+ on one channel and both Blue+ on another) so you can dim interdependently or run one of each on each channel for even coverage? This is my first tank with T5 bulbs so don't have much experience with how to balance the bulb combinations.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pedro,

OK, so I went back to Coralvue and asked about my fixture. They had me go ahead and fire it up, saying it couldn't hurt the fixture if it was 220V and I put 110 on it. Got bulbs from BRS today (2 ATI blue plus, 2 ATI Coral plus), put them in and fired it up. Wow, about blinded me (had the fixture upside down, facing the ceiling). Everything (LEDs and T5's were on full blast). Couldn't get the Futura software to connect via my windows laptop (tried everything mentioned on the forum), but it connected right away on my wife's MacBook (even the connect screen looked different, on the windows only the connect button was visible, while on the MacBook there were half a dozen buttons visible). I was able to dim both T5 channels via the "colour mixer" tabs. I've emailed CoralVue tech support back and asked them to please check with Giesemann on my serial number and confirm/check what the heck I have. Maybe I have the one fixture they put 110V dimming ballast in. Seems like there was a lot of back and forth when they released the fixture in N.A. Who knows, but I will say it is silent and bright as hell. Will chime back in when I get an answer from CoralVue.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you guys run the 2 types of bulbs together (both coral+ on one channel and both Blue+ on another) so you can dim interdependently or run one of each on each channel for even coverage? This is my first tank with T5 bulbs so don't have much experience with how to balance the bulb combinations.

I run each color on a different channel.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run each color on a different channel.
Thanks for the answer. Didn't realize that the pairs of bulbs would be split so there is one of each on the inside and the outside. For some reason I thought they'd have the bulbs paired next to each other (so you'd have one pair on each side of the LED clusters). It makes much more sense the way it actually is. Duh.

As an aside, it appears that I do actually have a 110VAC dimming ballast. Very early model, but plugs right into the wall and works fine.

Siasl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought one of these 48" from BRS.

Question on hanging from the ceiling. Did anyone go straight to ceiling wallboard, or did you look for studs? realize the weight makes a difference, but trying to figure out what I need.

That being said - what's the weight on the 48"?

Caliwagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Question on hanging from the ceiling. Did anyone go straight to ceiling wallboard, or did you look for studs? realize the weight makes a difference, but trying to figure out what I need.

I have the 48" above my 5' tank. I bought a stud finder and hung it directly from the studs. It's fairly heavy, 30 -40 lb range.

eatmoreyeah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help with hanging my 48" Aurora.

The supplied hanging kit does not include hanger bolts. I went to my local shops today to see if I could find metric hanger bolts to no avail. I could use either a snap or toggle bolt in the sheetrock but I just don't feel comfortable with that option.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

eatmoreyeah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine is roughly 42 pounds.

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am really, really getting frustrated with the inability to download either software or an app to control this light.

I used the link on the first page. Basically, I have to have bluetooth ability to control the light which means I have to use either iphone or ipad.
When I go to download the BT software it comes as a zip file which I can't figure out how to open on either device. What am I missing? How do I unzip a file on the ipad/iphone?

I do not understand why this is so difficult.

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am really, really getting frustrated with the inability to download either software or an app to control this light.

I used the link on the first page. Basically, I have to have bluetooth ability to control the light which means I have to use either iphone or ipad.
When I go to download the BT software it comes as a zip file which I can't figure out how to open on either device. What am I missing? How do I unzip a file on the ipad/iphone?

I do not understand why this is so difficult.

EDIT: I figured it out and will be able to use my MacBook

MrSkumfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I rented a PAR meter from my local reef club. Here's a few measurements that I got. I've been running my intensity WAY too low. That's fine... time to re-position and increase intensity. At what rate (weekly) do you increase your intensity?

FernandesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread guys, looking at this unit against the ATI Hybrid.
Any one want to take a stab at it...[emoji6]

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread guys, looking at this unit against the ATI Hybrid.
Any one want to take a stab at it...[emoji6]

Main points:

The ATI will have slightly superior T5 reflectors
The ATI is slightly cheaper
The ATI can be had in an 8-bulb version

The Giesemann is easier on the eyes... may be a matter of opinion though. It can also be special ordered in various colors.
The Giesemann has a far superior LED section
The Giesemann is BlueTooth controlled

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just read this whole thread again, I have been chatting with one of the guys at my lfs since I decided to change my light.
First choice was the Pacific sun 8 tube 36" hybrid with 2 x 75 watt leds.
I currently run the 24" 8 tube one with 1 x 75 watt led.
I absolutely love the Bali program for the leds, 12 hours taken care of! ;)
I am going to order the 36" inch Giesemann on Tuesday.
Due to the design of my tank I will be moving the Pacific sun sideways over the cube end so it will be interesting to see them run side by side! :)

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back