Gigantea VS Aiptasia

  • Thread starter Thread starter lemonade
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

lemonade

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 9, 2020
Messages
702
Reaction score
1,430
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever had issues with Aiptasia stinging their gigs? I recently found a nice small gig and thought I would put it in my display. The issue is that there's some aips around where the gig settled in and it seems to keep some of the tentacles retracted closer to where the aipastia are. Wasn't sure if it was just coincidence or if they really are bothering the gig. I can move it to my nem tank only issue is now its got its foot tucked into a large rock with other corals. I thought about trying to hit some of the Aiptasia with kalk but I don't want to bother the gig too much. I would've thought the gig could over power the Aiptasia but maybe not?
 
I think maybe the problem is that your gigantea is not acclimated to your the tank, and is not entirely healthy yet. I would leave it alone and not move it. Watch it incase you need to move to quarantine for treatment.

Any pics of the gig and your nem only tank?
 
I went in with some tweezers shortly after I posted this and plucked out the aips that seemed to be a problem. Gig already look much better. I don't think this one will need treatment, at least I'm hoping not. Seems otherwise healthy and eats blended meats well.
IMG_2974.jpg
 
Update on the Gig. Doing very well, moved it’s foot onto a smaller rock so I was able to isolate it from some of the aipsatia and mojanos. Zoox filing in more and getting some orange, greens, and purple colors

My Spotcinctus Clowns would like it to grow faster
FACA6FE7-FEF7-40A8-B278-D2FD8922DA85.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new