Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELLO TERENCE ..IM FROM SALINAS AND WAS WONDERING IF YOU OR SOMEONE OUT THERE KNOWS HOW TO RE CALIBRATE MY APEX NEPTUNES SYSTEM..I BOUGHT THIS 90G TANK SETUP FROM CRAIGLIST .AND THE SETUP WAS BEING MANAGED BY THE APEX SYSTEM..IM SURE AFTER THE TRANSFER THE NUMBERS ARE OFF...

Best to check out our support resources and use our Neptune community forum. Lots of great help.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How goes the battle with nitrates? I've been running a denitrator sans-ORP probe for a while, and have had ok results. But I'm going to hook one up tonight and give it a go, with the APEX controlling the feed similar to what you have described. Great information, thanks!

The feed mechanism seems to be working great. The ORP is staying negative but not consistent or aligned to anything I can tell. The nitrates themselves are stable. Most of my nitrate scare really came from the Red Sea kit which was erroneous. The other concern was simply to get ahead of the issue. I have not checked nitrates for two weeks so I am due to give it a check and report back.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. Have you considered how previous calibration of the pH probe input might affect the negative ORP reading? I currently have my main pH probe on a PM1, and a second pH/ORP input on my base unit that has never been calibrated, both with very different offset and scale values.

I sent off a water sample to be measure by AquaMedic Labs once, and I was surprised how close the API kit was to the results. Good enough for my purposes and significantly cheaper than other options. I still use the API kit.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I considered that. But I calibrated to 0. The issue though is not the number, but rather that it is all over the place for no apparent reason. I really do not know if there is even a thriving colony in there yet.

I am feeding 2500ml a day through it.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOS has been working awesome for this! Most out there think (incorrectly) that you need continuous flow through the reactor. Well, this myth has been busted! I push in/out 240ml in one minute and the pH inside barely changes. Just think, 240ml of 8.2 pH water going into a 12000ml volume reactor with 6.4 pH water. What do you think the change will be? That's 50:1 - If my math is correct, that will be a change of less than .04 pH.

Even running it so much it has only worn out one pump head so far. If you need to flow more than 80ml/min this would not likely be the economical solution for someone. I could tee in the other pump and get it to 160ml/min. For now, it has been keeping up with demand and working like a champ. For those with smaller tanks, this could be a really great solution for sure. It makes adjustment stupid-simple. For instance, I knew my alk uptake overnight would be less, so I simply went in and changed the programming to account for that.

I am using a Deltec fluidized reactor right now. I will likely stop using the fluidized media for reasons I went into a few pages back. Instead I will probably switch to TLF ReBorn media.

Yes your math is correct, but its usually a buffered situation so the change would be even less.

lennyd19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have measured the effluent it is 47 ml. I was going to configure the profiles but I wanted to make sure I understand your profile.
So mine would be 47 ml at 180ml a min and 255 per day is that correct?

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have measured the effluent it is 47 ml. I was going to configure the profiles but I wanted to make sure I understand your profile.
So mine would be 47 ml at 180ml a min and 255 per day is that correct?
Actually, you will need to have the profile that did three times that amount, on a three minute cycle. Do this with two identical profiles and have one come on say at 8PM and the other come on at 8AM.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a lot has happened since my last update. Here are some highlights. First off, once again my power went out yesterday - and of course as soon as I got the generator almost running and connected - it turned back on. Still, my Abyzz pump controller failed when the power came back on (it was already showing some kind of issue from the last power-surge-event so it is not surprising to me - they have the best warranty in the biz so I am sure it will be taken care of). Anyways, I put my backup RD230 on there and now with the FMM, the comparative results are amazing. With the RD230 set to 100% it showed nearly the identical power consumption as my Abyzz did at 74% (~230W). But the shocker - The flow on the Abyzz was 1100gph from my FMM and the 2" sensor. The flow from the RD230 with the identical plumbing and fitting is just 760! Graphic below.

Other things happening:
- Denitrator has finally stabilized the "pH" from 9.2-10 depending on the time of day - now I will be raising the output about 100ml/day by adjusting the DOS
- Nitrates are down under 10 now so I am feeding like crazy. Red Sea Pro Nitrate kit is worthless for high range.
- Phosphates are .01 - the Macroalgae in the sump is about a square meter. Almost time to take out about 30%.
- Corals are encrusting and growing nicely.
- Calcium Reactor has been providing me a steady 9.1-9.3 dKH according to my Alk Monitor - tweaking the alk up or down is as simple as adjusting the pH level in the reactor.
- I will stop using the Deltec fluidized media. The nasty gray silt produced by it and trapped by my secondary reactor is ridiculous. Going to fill it up with the TLF ReBorn this week I hope.
- The Philips Coral Care lights have worked so well on the SPS side of the tank that I have decided to change the whole tank to these lights. I am running them at probably 40-50% right now so the power usage is great.
- Although the Coral Care lights look awesome - just like a MH - it also means, for my eyes, I want a bit more pop - so I will be having at least one Reef Brite strip on each side as well - you just cannot beat the look and the coral color-up those ReefBrites give!
- I still need to do the trim-out of my stand with wood - looks pretty bad :(
- I broke the bulkhead on my 100g freshwater container about 8 weeks ago - still need to repair it - started, got it on, but impossible to tighten when the nut is on the inside - long reach - but I want to do it this way because this is why it broke the last time, the threaded stem was on the outside and could not take any lateral flex at all. 100 gallons of water comes out real fast!
- The Powder Blue Tang is happily living in the giant sump. He has healed up pretty good after getting the Freddy-Krueger-Treatment from the Achilles. His side wounds are all healed. His torn cornea is still healing, is a bit opaque, and may take months to recover is my guess.
- I mounted an AFS upside down in the canopy between the Philips lights. I cut the tabs off the base with clamp it comes with and screwed that to the roof of the hood and then slid the AFS on there. Works great!
- My pair of Bangaii Cardinals look like they are expecting - the Male looks like he has a mouthful and I have not seen him eat for two weeks now - should be any day he will release the "fish food"
- Weather is getting nice here in CA - We finally got a week now with no rain!

upload_2017-3-19_14-26-10.png

upload_2017-3-19_14-23-37.png

upload_2017-3-19_14-29-20.png

Damion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice update. That stinks that you have unreliable power. We're a little spoiled in South FL with FP&L. They are cheap and reliable.
Good to know the AFS can be mounted upside-down. (If I ever go with a canopy again)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea nice update!

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just wanted to thank you all for following along for this journey. My build thread here on R2R is now officially #3 of all time in this 180+ forum. It really should be counted as #2 since you really cannot count the Rev's build both because he owns the place but also because of all the pages of worthless blather there - comments over and over - "Pics", "FTS", etc. etc. :eek:

So I am just going to say thank you again to those that read and comment on my thread and... WE'RE #2! #1 here we come!

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There on the aisle was a nice, rugged, 10-compartment storage "briefcase" by Milwaukee. This thing is perfect. It has removable compartments, it's stackable, and it has a rubber seal to keep out moisture. And, it was only $20!

Best tip I can glean from this entire awesome thread. I'll never struggle with 600G of water but organization I need and can afford!

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence have you used Remag before? What are your thoughts on it?

I've never run a mag media in my reactor. I do run two different medias but they are both Cal and Alk based. I just hand dose mag as my usage is pretty low and easily maintained with a once every two week hand dose.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just wanted to thank you all for following along for this journey. My build thread here on R2R is now officially #3 of all time in this 180+ forum. It really should be counted as #2 since you really cannot count the Rev's build both because he owns the place but also because of all the pages of worthless blather there - comments over and over - "Pics", "FTS", etc. etc. :eek:

So I am just going to say thank you again to those that read and comment on my thread and... WE'RE #2! #1 here we come!

Congrats on being DOO DOO!

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad day this morning - Earthquake in NorCal - half the water out of the tank, stand half collapsed, sump on the floor, don't know what I'm going to do. Well, it was a good ride...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back