Give your White Worms a bath

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work. That is a lot o worms.
They do hang onto the mesh somewhat.
I found " the rinse with water a few times" in a separate container the fastest way.
I don’t mind rinsing them, but my work schedule has me gone 24 hours a shift which leaves my wife and kids to feed the tank. Not sure how they will take to rinsing these worms. Can a sample be kept without dirt in the fridge similar to blackworms? I’d keep my cultures growing and harvest some every few days to make it easier on the family. I am also researching how to culture blackworms. Blackworms would be nicer, but I can’t figure out if they will multiply as fast as white worms or not. I’d love to hear from someone who has raised both.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome write up Paul!!
Has anyone tried adding Selco, or other similar products, to the culture to increase fatty acid content???

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 15 pairs of clowns. I'm trying to get the nonbreeders into breeding condition as fast as possible. I may try your worms.
Do you have a write up on the black worms you cultured, or other live feeds?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 15 pairs of clowns. I'm trying to get the nonbreeders into breeding condition as fast as possible. I may try your worms.
Do you have a write up on the black worms you cultured, or other live feeds?
I read that after trying a few different foods one person found that the black worms multiplied the fastest if he used lettace.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind rinsing them, but my work schedule has me gone 24 hours a shift which leaves my wife and kids to feed the tank. Not sure how they will take to rinsing these worms. Can a sample be kept without dirt in the fridge similar to blackworms? I’d keep my cultures growing and harvest some every few days to make it easier on the family. I am also researching how to culture blackworms. Blackworms would be nicer, but I can’t figure out if they will multiply as fast as white worms or not. I’d love to hear from someone who has raised both.
Rinsing is really more about getting rid of the fine dust in the dirt. Put a spoonful of worms and your dirt mix in a container . Pour water in there. It suspends the dust and you pour the dust out. You do this a few times and the water is much clearer. You can then suck them out and not have a lot of muck go in the DT when you feed. It helps to use potting soil that has no dirt mixed in.
White ones need moisture or they will dry out. They will also drown in water. Maybe you feed them every other day, let your crew feed them frozen cube stuff on the other days. You could also try putting egg crate in a container with a small amount of water. Lay one of them crackers or a piece of toast on top. It might turn to mush or might not. Maybe it will last a day or 2. They might be able to pluck worms off that.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give them half a slice cut in thirds with yogurt on it.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Winter time they stay out in the garage with the black worms. I do turn on a heater if it gets in the 30's . Mostly for my comfort. Summer they come in the house and enjoy the a/c.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back