GK - 29 Gallon Build Thread

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am new to this forum but not new the salt water reef tanks. I am currently working on setting up a new system and I have enjoyed reading build threads over the years so I though I would create my own.

The setup is pretty simple. I am planning to do a 29G display tank with a 20L custom sump. The wall in my place I want to put it on is oddly shaped so I'll be building a custom stand as well.

So far I have gotten 2x 29G tanks and a 20L tank. I am drilling the 29G in the top of the corners for dual overflows. I haven't drilled a tank like this before so I bought 2 29G tanks since Petco has their $1/gal sale going on. I figure I'll mess the first one up so it's good to have two.

I'll plan to post all of my progress and pictures here along the way. I am curious to hear everyone's comments and ideas along the way.

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is what I am thinking so far.

Tank
29G AGA tank
20L AGA custom sump

Pumps
Waveline DC2500 for main pump
Either MP10 or Hydor Smartwave 425 kit

Protein Skimmer
I have a Coralife 65G skimmer from an old build. However, I have not used it for 5 years and the pump doesn't work. Since a new pump would cost $70, I decided to look at new ones.
Currently I am torn between a Bubble Magus or a SCA301/302

Lights
I am planning on LED - white and blue.
I want either Wavepoint (I have used these in the past and like them) or ReefBrite.

Controller
This is the interesting part. When I started in the reef hobby, I had a 50 gallon system. Eventually I had the idea everyone else has and wanted to put one on my desk. I then read that no one can make a reef aquarium less than 10 gallons. So I bought an 2.5 gallon tank at Petco and built my own AIO tank with full automation via and Arduino microcontroller. It ran for 2 years and the only maintenance I had to do was add food once twice a week and top of the ATO supply. At the end the entire tank was covered with coral but then my lights went out and I never replaced them. Eventually I moved everything out and decommissioned the tank. That being said I am not sure what I want to do for control on this tank. Here are my thoughts:
1. I have a bunch of older Digital Aquatics automation equipment that I may use
2. Design and build my own controller with a web interface
3. Utilize the new APEX controller.

More to come on controller later.

Attached is the current design I have for the tank and stand. It's missing the doors on the front of stand and the canopy. The oddly shaped green back is there to simulate the wall it will go against.

IMG_4079.JPG

sneub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your build looks good and Welcome aboard.

For the skimmer, maybe you could find a suitable replacement instead of purchasing a new skimmer.
For the Reefkeeper, mine works good, it does what I want and does not have issues. It may not be fancy like some other controllers, but that doesn't bother me so save some money and go with the DA.

I also have a 29G with 10G Sump, DC Return and circulation pumps, Kessil 360WE x 2, Skimmer (Don't remember what brand as it is old) Zeo reactor, JBJ ATO, Reefkeeper Elite and manual dosing.

I am working on purchasing a house but for now in a apartment and this is the largest tank permitted so when I start my large tank project, all of that gear I currently use will get replaced with shiny new stuff :)

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Update: I've been out of town all week but I have been able to do some research and make some decisions.

I have decided to go with the SCA-302 protein skimmer. I also noticed that the DC2500 has a max head of 13ft. So I am not sure what my flow would be as it will be going 4ft. I may upgrade to the next size and run it slower.

I designed my sump but I am not able to access CAD so pictures will come later. Basically it enters on the left, flows through the filter socks, flows through two baffles of live rock, flows through the skimmer section, through a bubble trap, and into the return pump. The return pump then tees off with the two having a ball valve which will regulate flow into the Refugium on the far right. This then overflows into the return area. Hopefully glass for baffles gets here next week. I used onedayglass.com as I've been happy with them before.

I also ordered two acrylic overflows from Melves reef.

Lastly I started thinking of fish:

1. Super cliché but I want two clowns. Watching them play in a nem is strangely the coolest thing to me. I want two Wyoming whites or two frost bite (though these are expensive locally, $300).

2. Flame angel

3. Since my total system will be 40-50 gal I am not sure if I can add a fourth fish. I really wanted a predator so I was looking at fuzzy dwarf lion fish and then I discovered an angler. Man the clown frog
fish is cool but it will apparently eat my other fish. Then I discovered the saddle Valentini puffer. If I can swing a fourth fish I want one. What do you guys think?

Will update with more pictures this weekend.

Cheers

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is my sump baffle design. From left to right - return lines come in, spill over into section where 2 micron filter bags are, go through one baffle of live rock rubble, then into the large skimmer section, through a bubble trap, and into the return pump section. The return pump will tee off to have some water go to the far right 7 inch section, which will be a small refugium.

Also, I am thinking of now using the bubble magus curve A5 protein skimmer. It runs on DC 24V. Anyone have any experience? Looks like the other bubble magus curves got good reviews.

Refugium.PNG

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I decided on the Bubble Magus A5. It came today and the design and construction is solid. Really like the fact it is D.C. And not AC.

I also have the frame of the stand just about done. Here is a pic from along the way:

IMG_4094.JPG

Will post completed frame tomorrow.

Also decided to upgrade to the Waveline DC6000. That should be here next week.

I also found a DIY mat for under the tank between it and the stand. I realize this is less critical given the smaller size of my tank and the fact it is aqueoun with a plastic frame. However this should alleviate any unlevelness in the stand and also remove all vibrations to the tank. I will also plan to put this under the sump. Here is the link:

INNOVATIVE MARINE DIY AUQA GADGET SELF-LEVELING AQUARIUM MAT - 48 IN. X 24 IN.

Lastly, glass comes in tomorrow or Saturday. Hopefully will have the sump baffles done this weekend.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, are you CADing this stuff out? I like the drawings[emoji6]

Daniel Bodily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my sump design working on it at work.
I'm making out of lexan

On the Led Lights you need to get lights that are 460 nm 420nm and 380nm wavelength
most should be 460 and add 540 wavelenght makes your colors better but doesn't do anything for the corals
Don't use much led light on the 620 to 780 Yellow/Red it can kill corals.

Sump.JPG

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Question, are you CADing this stuff out? I like the drawings[emoji6]

Yep, I am doing everything in CAD (mechanical engineer, I can't help it). That's where the sump design and the first picture of the stand are from.

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is my sump design working on it at work.
I'm making out of lexan

On the Led Lights you need to get lights that are 460 nm 420nm and 380nm wavelength
most should be 460 and add 540 wavelenght makes your colors better but doesn't do anything for the corals
Don't use much led light on the 620 to 780 Yellow/Red it can kill corals.

Sump.JPG

Sweet sump design. It looks like your after a compact design. Is there something specific this is for?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I am doing everything in CAD (mechanical engineer, I can't help it). That's where the sump design and the first picture of the stand are from.

I am not an engineer, but cannot seem to build anything lately without CADing it first.

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Glass came today for the refugium. I remeasured everything and realized I need to make my skimmer section wider. Now I need some input on what to do:
Capture.PNG

The black is the return line coming in. The blue is the micron sock. The red was going to be live rock rubble. Now my question is, do I eliminate the section of live rock rubble and make the refugium section 2 inches wider - 6.56 to 8.56 inches. Or should I keep this and leave my refugium at 6.56 inches?

Daniel Bodily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you going to to get the water to circulate in the two areas
upload_2017-1-27_16-57-7.png

My sump is for a new Tank that I am building
It going to pull out the side of the cabinets and the Algae Scrubber
Medea reactor, ZEOvit Magnetic reactor will be horizontal so they are easier to clean
I'm trying to make it a fully automated so that I don't have to do anything
Algae scrubber will harvest automatically
The ZEOvit will pump 2 times a day Automatically
with some programming and a computer it should work great

upload_2017-1-27_16-55-52.png

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Where you have water flow written is for the skimmer and where you have just the arrow is the return pump. You are right though, water will not flow into the skimmer area in this arrangement. I didn't catch that when I took out a baffle. Here is my new design, deciding to take out the live rock section.
Capture.PNG

Daniel Bodily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to make this one adjustable
for water for the skimmer
Depending on the kind of skimmer

upload_2017-1-27_17-43-54.png

upload_2017-1-27_17-40-27.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I already measured and my skimmer has a height adjustment. Thanks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back