• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Glass Cages review

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glass Cages offers affordable quality. I am in love with our new shallow tank from them. Lots of features you don't get with an out-of-the-box tank.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Tough to beat Glasscages prices, at least I thought so until my GC tank sprung a leak after 8 years.
I even did alot of research on them. I saw all the negative reviews but thought, that's not not going to happen to me. lol
Boy was I wrong.
Never again

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got a price from Planet on my 310 they where over $100 cheaper than Glass cages.

Really? That's great!

I had them quote out two matching tanks and the total was almost $900 more before shipping.

I guess it all depends on what you are getting.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive spoken to beth through emails asking questions about glass as ive contemplated building a plywood one with only the front panel glass since the other panels are hidden by walls. Very nice person at least in emails

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Really? That's great!

I had them quote out two matching tanks and the total was almost $900 more before shipping.

I guess it all depends on what you are getting.

I dont think you get quotes directly from Planet, you get it from the re seller (your LFS)

Someone correct me if I am wrong, as I ma getting drawings finalized to reach out.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still happy with my glass cage. Tank turned year and a half!

AAAADFA6-A0D6-4B19-B086-C42777BD2AAC.jpeg

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's hard to believe.

I would think way mor
So is Planet better or is Glass Cages better...?
I agree with other posters. I would say it’s preference and what you think is nice. I can see how people are unhappy with some of the seals on glass cage and heard planet does a much better job at that. But the price is different and I’m okay with it not being PERFECT. Just my $0.02

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
From what I've seen, Planet makes a better-finished tank but to say the price comes close - big NO.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to beat Glasscages prices, at least I thought so until my GC tank sprung a leak after 8 years.
I even did alot of research on them. I saw all the negative reviews but thought, that's not not going to happen to me. lol
Boy was I wrong.
Never again

how big was this tank? Did it just spring a leak on a seem? Did they replace it?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
how big was this tank? Did it just spring a leak on a seem? Did they replace it?
This was my 240. I looked at all the reviews everywhere and saw alot of bad ones, but they were all a year or 2 old so I figured things had improved.
It was about 8 years into it and one morning there was water on the front lip of the stand.
I figured a fish had splashed overnight, or I had splashed water when I fed the tank the night before.
Anyway I wasn't worried, it was only 8 years old. I wiped up the water.
That I came home and there was more water on the stand.
My wife made a comment about a little water was on the floor a couple days earlier.
So I started looking real close and noticed water in one area in the front.
So I got a magnifying glass and a flashlight and some paper towels.
Just to the left of center on the bottom seem, a drop every 1-2 seconds.
Next day I called GC and that's when they informed me the 90 day warranty was long over.
I tried to engage them in hopes of reaching a agreement that I could live with and I was basically told that I could buy a new tank with no discount. Plus I would have to pay for full shipping this time.

Repairing the tank was absolutely out of the question in my mind.
I knew that to properly repair this tank, it had to be completely taken apart, all the glass had to be cleaned perfectly and re-siliconed as you would a new tank.
The whole idea that just doing a re-seal job on a large tank like this one would be sufficient was ludicrous.
I offered it for free locally as a reptile tank.
But a person found out out about it on Facebook and decided she wanted to try and fix it.
Heck a half dozen people on FB all told her all it had to be done to it was a re-seal job.
She believed them and even had a fairly experienced reefer help her re-seal it.
I told her it wouldn't work.
About 6 months later it sprung a big leak. About a gallon a minute this time.

So I did my research, but let my wallet do the thinking on this one.
All the time I had my tank I defended them against posts ( like this lol).
It was great for $879 delivered from Tennessee to Tacoma Washington, until it leaked.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
They both have websites and very easy to pick options on both sites. The difference is the dfw is msrp and was still cheaper than GC.

Standard prices are comparable, ask for a quote on a custom sized tank and see the difference.

Not that there shouldn't be. Planet is certainly a finer product IMO

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true I am sure. That’s why planet started their mega tanks to give more options to get a close to custom without paying for it. I love my 96” x 30” x 25” size. After my lfs discount the price I paid was about the same as what I paid for my 300dd in 2010

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres price differences i see online i see a huge difference myself.

20191023_151533.jpg Screenshot_20191023-151409_Chrome.jpg

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back