Glass Chip!!!!! Please tell me i'm not screwed!!!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call a windshield repair service. They will not guarantee it, but they have the stuff to fix it.

Tempered glass would not have chipped, it would have shattered into a bunch on little squares.

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is better
Just below flash
20171210_140008.jpg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay if this unit is tempered it will be just fine and tempered glass does chip I’ve installed plenty of showers and they don’t all go in smooth hahahah. If this isn’t tempered then i would be shining that flash light all around that area look for colorful lines inside the glass tuning from the impact area. If you find even one that glass is trash. The chipping in the picture looks odd to me because its still not clear enough to match it to a piece I’ve seen and I’ve seen so many different kinds man. God I wish i could see this thing in person I could tell you in 2 seconds

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
62E18E3A-911F-43E7-B836-2F699722F779.jpeg
Look closely at the corner of this glass. Does it look like this?. This piece is smooth on all sides but this at my shop is called a stress crack because it’s on the inside. Certain impacts and even extreme tempatures cause stress breaks or cracks in the glass

Last edited:

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way tempered won’t chip as hard as the last pic i posted. A chip that size and deep would cause the whole unit to blow

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call a windshield repair service. They will not guarantee it, but they have the stuff to fix it.

Tempered glass would not have chipped, it would have shattered into a bunch on little squares.

It can chip but it won’t spider and crack.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can chip but it won’t spider and crack.
I my experience, tempered glass is designed to shatter in square for safety. I think you are taking the right steps to contact the manufacturer first.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I my experience, tempered glass is designed to shatter in square for safety. I think you are taking the right steps to contact the manufacturer first.
In my experience tempered blows up to. I actually saved pieces from the first dual pane window i ever broke at my first company. But if the impact isn’t hard enough and the direction is right on a 3/8unit they can chip ask any shower guy. I’ve done commercial glazing and residential

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In my experience tempered blows up to. I actually saved pieces from the first dual pane window i ever broke at my first company. But if the impact isn’t hard enough and the direction is right, on a 3/8unit they can chip very easily ask any shower guy. I’ve done commercial glazing and residentiaL

Last edited:

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Really!! I did not know that, and thank you for pointing that out.:)

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And rimless tanks are supposed to sit on 1/2" of styrofoam, not a solid surface. If the stand has some issue with not being exactly square, or level, the chip may not matter. It can blow a seam just from that. I am glad I don't have to make the decision to use that one, or not. Really sorry that happened to you, on what sounds like your second go around with a tank. I hope it all works out for the best. Fingers crossed.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience tempered blows up to. I actually saved pieces from the first dual pane window i ever broke at my first company. But if the impact isn’t hard enough and the direction is right on a 3/8unit they can chip ask any shower guy. I’ve done commercial glazing and residentiaL
Really!! I did not know that, and thank you for pointing that out.:)
glad you guys can make use of this reef/glazier junkie

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And rimless tanks are supposed to sit on 1/2" of styrofoam, not a solid surface. If the stand has some issue with not being exactly square, or level, the chip may not matter. It can blow a seam just from that. I am glad I don't have to make the decision to use that one, or not. Really sorry that happened to you, on what sounds like your second go around with a tank. I hope it all works out for the best. Fingers crossed.
He’s right but if it’s rimless and you have that self leveling mat it will actually disperse the pressure eavenly

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dropped a 1/4 in piece of glass on the bottom. The corner hit which caused the chip.. I don’t think it’s tempered.. checking with a light

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back