Glass Chip!!!!! Please tell me i'm not screwed!!!

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional reading says float glass tanks don’t have tempered glass

Here’s the ad from web page too

The response from our new Visio™ line of glass aquariums and terrariums, has been phenomenal. Made with pride in the USA, Visio™ tanks are another example of our commitment to quality, service, and value. Each Visio™ tank is hand crafted of the best float glass to reduce optic distortion. We use only top quality GE Brand silicone adhesive sealant. Solid bottom construction ensures durability — the bottom glass fits completely under the front, back and end glass

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tempered glass is what you want man I’m sorry. earlier i was trying to say that if it’s tempered it won’t continue to crack and spider under pressure. Tempered is much stronger. And still make sure because float glass doesn’t mean it’s made of plate or tempd. It’s just the process of creation. Now don’t quote me on that I’m in no way an expert at glass manufacturing. But I do know that glass is made first then tempered and that you can hold me to. So if it was made at a float plant there might be a chance that they sent it to get tempered to

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned a Auto Glass company for 13 years and handled millions of dollars worth of glass. That looks like what we called an oyster. As long as there is not a line coming off I would think it would be fine. If it has a line then pressure or temperature change can make it run all the way to the edge. It is hard to see glass cracks in pictures.

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned a Auto Glass company for 13 years and handled millions of dollars worth of glass. That looks like what we called an oyster. As long as there is not a line coming off I would think it would be fine. If it has a line then pressure or temperature change can make it run all the way to the edge. It is hard to see glass cracks in pictures.

There's no crack off of it.. Its pretty clean..
and very shallow.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I’m hoping it’s tempared because then we know it’s more likely just a clam shell and not a potential runner!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Highly doubt that the company selling those tanks is also the the glass manufacturer so there is a chance that when they order glass to create aquariums that they use a different piece for the base then the sides. for mine example i have 3 sides of starfire glass and my back has the black backing so it’s just normal glass not low iron (you can see threw the edges less)and i can’t tell what the bottom is made of because all the edges are siliconed black

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have 2 topics here.. While I am waiting for the official results of what the bottom is made of, FINN says use foam under glass... however, since its not a home made stand and is from the people who made the tank, is it necessary? Will it help? Thought the foam was for imperfections in a home built stand.. (could be wrong)

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And rimless tanks are supposed to sit on 1/2" of styrofoam, not a solid surface. If the stand has some issue with not being exactly square, or level, the chip may not matter. It can blow a seam just from that. I am glad I don't have to make the decision to use that one, or not. Really sorry that happened to you, on what sounds like your second go around with a tank. I hope it all works out for the best. Fingers crossed.
This is a good pic but is that silicone right next to the chip or is that all just chipped glass

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have 2 topics here.. While I am waiting for the official results of what the bottom is made of, FINN says use foam under glass... however, since its not a home made stand and is from the people who made the tank, is it necessary? Will it help? Thought the foam was for imperfections in a home built stand.. (could be wrong)
Foam is used to self level rimless tanks

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Circle is it.. rest is silicone I scrapped off..

Edited.jpg

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a 200 gallon tank years ago with 1/2 plate glass. It had an oyster the size of a silver dollar. It never caused a problem.

I currently have a Planet Aquarium 120 gallon Rimless. Tank, stand, and sump came together. It does not have foam between the stand and tank. Maybe I should contact them ans see if I need some. The tank had been running over 6 months.

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if superglue and baking soda would work. I've seen where blades on helicopters have been repaired with it, even some glass repairs. It's sandable too. Worth looking into.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that happened. I may be the only one saying this, but I would get another tank. To me it’s not worth it, but that’s me. I went through three tanks until I got to the fourth with no chips or dammage. Even if I did it myself, after deleivery, I would buy another tank. That’s too much water to have on my floor. I hope it works out for you.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me I would call the manufacturer and find out for certain if the bottom is tempered. If it is not tempered I would drill it with a 1/2 inch diamond drill bit and take a piece of glass the same thickness and at least twice the size of the hole and silicone it down on the inside of the tank and over the hole. The water weight will hold the glass plate down and keep it from leaking. You are looking at a 20 minute job that will last forever and you can sleep well at night.

28611109-4D39-4C6C-9AC0-674CD8B7146C.jpeg

Last edited:

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’ve made triple sure there’s no small lines running like a stress break id put water in it and let it sit for some time then drain it and check the area for any signs of change. Obviously we should try everything before just tossing it right haha

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back