Glass dimensions question

animatedcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to upgrade to a Planet Aquariums 48x30x24 or 48x30x30. Price wise the 30” tall one I’m being quoted only $200 more. My question is with those dime skins - would I have anything to worry about structural wise? There’s two glass braces at the ends of the sides of them but nothing on the bottom it looks like. The 30” tall is 1/2” all sides and 3/4” bottom. Thanks a lot!

CB461186-30A1-4777-B188-76B44265A940.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The structural integrity of either tank should be fine without issues. The manufacturer wouldn't make the tank if it wasn't sound. Without a brace on the bottom, you will definitely want to ensure you place down a pad under the tank, though.

As for the 24" vs 30" height -- I'd personally go with the 24" tank. It's easier to get light lower in the tank with the less deep tank. Most of my fish hang out only around the live rock and the upper parts of the tank are basically empty. But, you can always do a higher live rock aquascape to pull more activity higher in the tank.

OP
OP
animatedcorals

animatedcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The structural integrity of either tank should be fine without issues. The manufacturer wouldn't make the tank if it wasn't sound. Without a brace on the bottom, you will definitely want to ensure you place down a pad under the tank, though.

As for the 24" vs 30" height -- I'd personally go with the 24" tank. It's easier to get light lower in the tank with the less deep tank. Most of my fish hang out only around the live rock and the upper parts of the tank are basically empty. But, you can always do a higher live rock aquascape to pull more activity higher in the tank.
Yea I think you’re right - that’s what I was thinking of giving my fish more swimming room but odds are they wouldn’t be swimming in the top free part. Thanks for that

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
24" is too tall IMO. I built my new system at 22" tall to help with maintenance. I can't imagine dealing with a 30" tall tank

clownnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300DD 27 i cant reach the center of my tank. lol stay with 24 or lower. lol

Back