Glass dirty after only 24 hours?

8675309TT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
This is my glass after only 24 hours. I have needed to clean it everyday. You can see where my turbo snails are helping. What can I do to keep the glass clean longer or what is happening here? Fish and coral seem happy. All parameters are in normal range except Nitrates are around 30.
Thank you,
Nick

Nick
IMG_3346.jpg

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower nitrates would be the key. What are your phosphates?

And keep in mind even in systems where nitrate is at the acceptable amount and everything is running good, algae on glass is good since it shows that the systems has a good balance of nutrients which corals need to grow off of.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
This is my glass after only 24 hours. I have needed to clean it everyday. You can see where my turbo snails are helping. What can I do to keep the glass clean longer or what is happening here? Fish and coral seem happy. All parameters are in normal range except Nitrates are around 30.
Thank you,
Nick

Nick
IMG_3346.jpg
This is not a problem that needs fixing. I would do nothing but clean the glass.

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algaes normal in a healthy system if your tank is not mature you gotta watch overfeeding, or even the quality of food you feed pellet is trash flake is trash this is like Macdonalds for fish sure theyll get high and fat but they wont be as healthy as a fish that eats frozen enriched with something like selcon or vitamins ,also frozen leaves less waste product behind then flake or frozen

Feeding less is key weather your a newbie novice pro or wizard of the ocean

That and a good bacteria like genesis by polyp labs or micro bacter 7 dosed to tank by hand to break down in organic waste

Alge isnt bad the main thing is training your eyes the ones to watch out for are dinos, bryopsis, ulva, parvispora(caused by n and p excess),turf and encrusting(caused by to much micro nutrients in base water

We also need a good quality base water and salt mix your reef tank is only gonna be as good as your water and base salt, we want rodi 0tds anything over 0ppm is absolutely unacceptable for longterm success in reef tank

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if u have a sump a refugium will help as it's like a jail for algae, you can also add bio block, gfo or multiple bags of chemipure then if that doesnt work go for flyidized media reactor

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your having a little build up it's reef tank maintenance is like brushing you're teeth u gotta wake up every morning test salinty, scrub glass blast rock, it all about rythm and flow and knowing how to acess the situation at hand

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick fix is getting a good cuc about 1 working invert per gallon so 100g 100 turbo snails 300g 300 turbo snails

This is a good start get a lot of snail and feed less of better quality food like mysis and spirulina, avoid reefroids unless you're keeping up on wc or if u dont have strong filtration instead feed coral mysis pe, phyto and oyster feast from reef nutrition then coral FRENZY or benepets over roids bc they wont spike p with weekly use as they are probiotic based formulas

Back