Glass or Acrylic?

Do you prefer a glass or an acrylic aquarium?

• Glass

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • Acrylic

Votes: 18 24.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Have 2 tanks of acrylic for which I was deadly afraid of scratching. Never again will I get glass. Super easy to manage. Everything looks magnified and always so clear.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer glass. I like how light acrylic is, I like how clear it can be. But I’m not gentle and so they scratch too often. I used acrylic for most of my beanies for the bettas. Having to scrub them out when washing them would always scratch. Not an issue with jars others don’t see, but for displays, it’s awful.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last glass tank cracked and drained water from the second floor to the first. My wife was so angry I’m lucky to be alive. I have had several acrylic tanks since then. I have to be careful not to scratch when cleaning but I can live with that. I like how lightweight acrylic is. My main tank is only 30 gallons, but I had it custom made out of 1/2 inch acrylic and it is very strong. I paid more than I would have for glass, but I feel it was worth it.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic seems to be harder to find these days then when I had custom tanks made 15 yrs ago. Why is that?

Ethirtysix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass is great not worried about scratching as much it is possible to scratch but a lot harder to do. I like my acrylic I have now but spent a lot of time buffing out the scratches but it’s still a great tank just super careful cleaning it

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Becauae it is very expensive and there is a broader range of glass tanka available now. Im a DIY guy so i like to build my own acrylic tanks

samson78945

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still going back and forth between the two. I did reach out to A.G.E to get a quote on their hybrid tanks.

When you ask an acrylic tank builder, acrylic is the superior choice.
When you ask a glass builder, glass is the much better choice.

First tank was a 90 glass. Looking at going much larger, 48" L x 24" W x 48" H.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still going back and forth between the two. I did reach out to A.G.E to get a quote on their hybrid tanks.

First tank was a 90 glass. Looking at going much larger, 48" L x 24" W x 48" H.

48" height will make it almost impossible to clean unles tank will be sitting on the ground. You would need to get into the tank in order to reach the bottom to clean it, move stuff around and so on if tank will be sitting on any sort of normal height stand

samson78945

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48" height will make it almost impossible to clean unles tank will be sitting on the ground. You would need to get into the tank in order to reach the bottom to clean it, move stuff around and so on if tank will be sitting on any sort of normal height stand

That was my initial thought. The spot where it is going is limited in length and width. I am trying to maximize tank volume by going taller.

Whispers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true, and please note that coralline left on glass can ‘etch’ into the glass and permanently distort it
Very true I had a 135 truvu tank and it was the worst to get coralline off this was my experience with acrylic who are you to say that’s not true?

Last edited:

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true I had a 135 truvu tank and it was the worst to get coralline off this was my experience with acrylic who are you to say that’s not true?
My point was that IME, coraline left on glass will do more damage than coraline left on acrylic. This is my experience having switched to mostly acrylic tanks since 1991.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue you have with both concerning coraline, is keep the panes clean on a regular basis.
It is much easier to do regular maintaince cleaning of anything than to do restorative cleaning.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Of course, that's why each uses the material they use!

Pros and cons are pretty well established at this point, so it really comes down to your own priorities. If you are not careful, or able to be careful, then an acrylic tank will be full of scratches. That's a non starter for many folks, though I do suspect that many of the opinions you get come from folks just parroting what they've heard rather than actually having owned an acrylic tank. Acrylic tanks are clearer, stronger and lighter, but they scratch more easily and may discolor or bow over time. I tend to prefer glass for smaller tanks; acrylic for larger tanks. Price seems about on par at the larger sizes.

My current 450 is acrylic. It's been up for two years and there are no scratches on the front because I am very careful. A few minor ones on one end where I use a veggie mag and not particularly careful, but that's not a big deal to me.

samson78945

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, that's why each uses the material they use!

Pros and cons are pretty well established at this point, so it really comes down to your own priorities. If you are not careful, or able to be careful, then an acrylic tank will be full of scratches. That's a non starter for many folks, though I do suspect that many of the opinions you get come from folks just parroting what they've heard rather than actually having owned an acrylic tank. Acrylic tanks are clearer, stronger and lighter, but they scratch more easily and may discolor or bow over time. I tend to prefer glass for smaller tanks; acrylic for larger tanks. Price seems about on par at the larger sizes.

My current 450 is acrylic. It's been up for two years and there are no scratches on the front because I am very careful. A few minor ones on one end where I use a veggie mag and not particularly careful, but that's not a big deal to me.

Right now I am in the planning stages of a 48" L x 24" W x 48" H. Doing a lot of research on both. I reached out to A.G.E to get a quote on their hybrid tank. We will see about that one.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am in the planning stages of a 48" L x 24" W x 48" H. Doing a lot of research on both. I reached out to A.G.E to get a quote on their hybrid tank. We will see about that one.
Be sure you get one that will support your weight when leaning over the sides, to place rocks or do maintenance.

samson78945

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 100% for an acrylic tank, but either way, are you sure that you want a 4’ tall tank? So hard to clean, and even harder to place rocks or coral in.

The in-wall area that the tank would go limits my length and width. I was going taller to increase water volume. I would have the same issue even with a 36" tank and I think it wouldn't look right. The ceiling is taller in that room and would have 4 feet of empty space above. But I really appreciate the input. Anything else you can think of would be great!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back