Glass questions

TheGreenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently planning on putting together my own glass tank, silicone and all. I have 3D modeled a 185 gallon aquarium with 3 inch eurobracing all around the top. Th aquarium dimensions are 60" long by 24" wide by 30"TALL. I plan on using 1/2 tempered glass. The company making the sheets will have the holes drilled for the plumbing so I won't have to do anything. The question I have is, is this structuraly okay? Is 1/2 glass with eurobracing + a center brace good enough to hold this togehter? If anyone has anymore insite on large aquarium builds, that woiuld be awesome! Feel free to comment your opinions, I'm open to all of therm

tank185.png

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently planning on putting together my own glass tank, silicone and all. I have 3D modeled a 185 gallon aquarium with 3 inch eurobracing all around the top. Th aquarium dimensions are 60" long by 24" wide by 30"TALL. I plan on using 1/2 tempered glass. The company making the sheets will have the holes drilled for the plumbing so I won't have to do anything. The question I have is, is this structuraly okay? Is 1/2 glass with eurobracing + a center brace good enough to hold this togehter? If anyone has anymore insite on large aquarium builds, that woiuld be awesome! Feel free to comment your opinions, I'm open to all of therm

tank185.png
Hi @TheGreenReefer. I love that are taking on this project. We would build this tank size with 1/2" thick non-tempered glass. The only suggestion I could make is regarding the cross-brace. One is fine. The cross-brace most likely should be go under the bracing on the long (60) bracing. Meaning the bracing on the long sides would be a solid 60 in. This will allow for more sq inches in silicone surface area for grab to keep the tank structurally sound. Hope that makes sense.

The difference is you are using tempered glass so about is how we would construct a non-tempered glass tank.

Hope that helps.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe,
I have a GC tank from the previous owners of GC so the tank is at least 15 years old. It's 6'x2'x2' eurobraced on top and bottom and has no cross braces so my question is does the OP need even the one cross brace on a 5' span?

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe,
I have a GC tank from the previous owners of GC so the tank is at least 15 years old. It's 6'x2'x2' eurobraced on top and bottom and has no cross braces so my question is does the OP need even the one cross brace on a 5' span?
Great question. without cross-braces or just a perimeter bracing we would build as a rimless glass tank with 3/4" thick glass. Hope that helps.

Great that you have a GC tank. after 15 years, sometimes the tanks get modified after they leave the shop. I really can't speak for that tank without seeing it. Let me know if you have more questions.

OP
OP
TheGreenReefer

TheGreenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @TheGreenReefer. I love that are taking on this project. We would build this tank size with 1/2" thick non-tempered glass. The only suggestion I could make is regarding the cross-brace. One is fine. The cross-brace most likely should be go under the bracing on the long (60) bracing. Meaning the bracing on the long sides would be a solid 60 in. This will allow for more sq inches in silicone surface area for grab to keep the tank structurally sound. Hope that makes sense.

The difference is you are using tempered glass so about is how we would construct a non-tempered glass tank.

Hope that helps.

Thank you sooo much for your input, super helpful. After much more research decided to go with a 5x24x24 tank with 1/2 glass. I learned that tempered glass isn't stronger when you use it to build an aquarium.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sooo much for your input, super helpful. After much more research decided to go with a 5x24x24 tank with 1/2 glass. I learned that tempered glass isn't stronger when you use it to build an aquarium.
agreed. also tempered reacts very different than non-tempered glass during a tank challenge. ouch. Hope you have a fantastic day!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 82 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.2%
Back