Glass Thickness Needed for Shallow Rimless

seabedoasis

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 17, 2019
Messages
66
Reaction score
75
Location
San Francisco
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to build my first reef tank, a shallow lagoon style measuring 32" x 16" x 8" from starphire glass. Its a very shallow tank, but it is fairly long, so I was wondering what the ideal glass thickness would be? I've used multiple of those online "aquarium glass thickness" calculators, but they gave me suspiciously thin results, which I am not inclined to trust. Does anyone else have a similarly shaped rimless tank? If so, what is the glass thickness?

Alex K.
 
I am Not a pro at building tanks here but I would use 1/4 inch there. Toothpick spacing so silicone dives in between each pane.
 
I would personally use 3/8 or 1/2”. There’s really no downfall of going too thick. Going too thin is a different issue. But I wouldn’t go thinner than 3/8.
 
Yea 3/8 would be ideal but I see Frameless tanks from aqueon 30 gallons using 1/4inch. This frag tank is long but still less then 20 gallons
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new