Glass vs Acrylic?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I am looking for an aquarium. i'm moving from a red sea reefer with ultra clear glass.

Would there be a big difference moving from glass to acrylic?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
three tanks and two acrylic.
Acrylic is light in weight, seamless, more durable and magnifies the contents of tank and even the lighting.
I was the person who said NEVER and here I am

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people that don’t recommend acrylic, have never had acrylic.
I had glass for many years…but switched to acrylic in 1988…will never go back, don’t want a glass tank for free!
I think people who complain about scratches don't realize that you can buff them out of acrylic.

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been an acrylic tank guy for every tank I have had since 1992... I took a 15 year break from the hobby and just got back in last year... wow everyone loves glass now.. and I get it for durability of the viewing medium... but I have seen a lot of threads with titles like "the worst has happened" etc and they are all glass tank owners who got leaks and lost most if not all livestock and ruined floors etc.. Granted the percentage of glass owners who have leaks is very low but makes me nervous about glass tanks.. Yes the acrylic does scratch.. my current tank+stand+sump was purchased used on the cheap, it already had scratches... I can see em but oh well I can see in just fine.. they mostly show when algae grows in them too.. which I scrub out every week.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I want to see acrylic in person but man don’t see myself buying an acrylic aquarium

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had both. Glass is heavy. Two tanks both 125 gallons. The glass I needed help installing but the acrylic was almost a one hand lift. Glass could scratch because I did it and it's permanent!! I also had a seam blow on a 55gallon so there is possibility of a leak. Now the acrylic WILL scratch but if light can be buffed. They can also craze if chemicals contacts it. That's permanent. Yes acrylic is clearer then glass. I had to give up on my acrylic because someone decided to help "clean" the tank when I was away with my magnetic algae cleaner but they hit the sand and proceeded to sand the front panel. The WHOLE front panel. Still have it and I may try to fix it but it's bad, real bad! So keep that in mind if you have "help" or kids around.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to give up on my acrylic because someone decided to help "clean" the tank when I was away with my magnetic algae cleaner but they hit the sand and proceeded to sand the front panel. The WHOLE front panel. Still have it and I may try to fix it but it's bad, real bad! So keep that in mind if you have "help" or kids around.
I’d bet that no matter how ‘bad’ you think they are, if you get an acrylic repair kit, the tank should come out like new! My main tanks are 200 & 500g, but I also have 3x 120g acrylic tanks that are over 20 years old and can all be made like new again.
For the record… people ‘helping’ with the magnet cleaners is probably the #1 cause of scratches! There is an acrylic sleeve that fits over the inside magnet, that can prevent 99% of sand scratches. I’ve been using them for many years.

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d bet that no matter how ‘bad’ you think they are, if you get an acrylic repair kit, the tank should come out like new! My main tanks are 200 & 500g, but I also have 3x 120g acrylic tanks that are over 20 years old and can all be made like new again.
For the record… people ‘helping’ with the magnet cleaners is probably the #1 cause of scratches! There is an acrylic sleeve that fits over the inside magnet, that can prevent 99% of sand scratches. I’ve been using them for many years.
That is a good thing about acrylic. You can repair them. I have a scratch in my glass tank that's permanent. Good point about lifespan. I have a 230 glass in storage about 18 years and I don't think I can trust it. I guess I just got s bad taste for acrylic after my disaster but I would do acrylic again for sure!

Sue_Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people that don’t recommend acrylic, have never had acrylic.
I had glass for many years…but switched to acrylic in 1988…will never go back, don’t want a glass tank for free!
Why? What makes acrylic superior in your experience? Honestly would like to hear as I will be upgrading very soon. Thank you.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic is more durable and being able to buff a scratch out is nice but they scratch much much easier than glass. In my experience my acrylic tank just never looked as clear as my reefer.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved to all acrylic in the past few tanks, they are more durable and the clarity is noticeably better than any glass.

that being said, they suck to clean! I only use a magic eraser by hand to clean the interior of the glass - IME any kind of scraper (even the so called acrylic safe) will scratch. I keep my tanks very clean so its not much of an issue, but if you tend to let algae build up on your glass its gonna be tough going with Acrylic

it is easy to buff scratches out on the exterior though so exterior maintenance is not a big deal.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both and prefer acrylic. Here is a little watch list to explain why.
(Listen closely at 9:50!)

#2, It's not just the seams
(Listen to 14:20 and 19:40)

#3 Buffing while filled with water

#4 And with a little ingenuity, it's easy.

Bottom line, it's still your decision.:D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back