0   0   0
Their names are Jack and Diane.

Last edited:

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup its pretty dang close to what i have. Good to see your cycling nightmare is over that sounds like it was frustrating as hell. I just started my cycle last night since i got everything quieted down for the most part. Still want to look into a different pump as you suggested in the other thread, but this will have to do for now. How much was your new pump?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup its pretty dang close to what i have. Good to see your cycling nightmare is over that sounds like it was frustrating as hell. I just started my cycle last night since i got everything quieted down for the most part. Still want to look into a different pump as you suggested in the other thread, but this will have to do for now. How much was your new pump?
I bought it from Drs Foster and Smith for about $25.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2246.JPG
IMG_2247.JPG
IMG_2248.JPG
IMG_2249.JPG
IMG_2250.JPG
Here's the latest. Today I added 2 pajama cardinals (PJ and Arizona). Plus I finally put a screen on top. I'm really happy with how it turned out!

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make that screen top or did you buy it? I need to figure something out for my 40b i lost a fish because he jumped out the other day..lesson learned i suppose.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make that screen top or did you buy it? I need to figure something out for my 40b i lost a fish because he jumped out the other day..lesson learned i suppose.
I made it. I got the 1/8" clear screen from BRS and bought a window screen kit at Home Depot. It had everything else except the roller to secure the screen to the frame. I cut the aluminum frame with a miter saw and painted everything black to match the tank. It was super easy!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great man!

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm i like it. I may have to test my skills to see if i can put one together myself. Is it a hassle at all to pull of off say to when you feed your fish n stuff? I am almost pondering doing the same thing however making two sections and one with a hinge on it to just lift up the front to feed on a daily basis.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm i like it. I may have to test my skills to see if i can put one together myself. Is it a hassle at all to pull of off say to when you feed your fish n stuff? I am almost pondering doing the same thing however making two sections and one with a hinge on it to just lift up the front to feed on a daily basis.
It's not hard at all as long as you don't make the fit too tight.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2333.JPG
IMG_2364.JPG
Update. I've added Benny the Blenny and William the Royal Gramma. Rufus the nassarius snail is also new but he hides out so I don't see him much. I changed out the felt filter socks for drawstring mesh because cleaning the felt ones was just a pain. I rinse the mesh one daily and don't have to shut down the pump. It's so much easier and I think it will help with the nitrates. I have them down to 20-25 with some big water changes. I plan on doing two more 25% water changes to get them between 10-20, which is where I plan to keep them. Most of the high level was leftover from the cycle. I cut back on feeding a little and added some Purigen. So far it's been smooth sailing due to a ton of planning ahead of time. The tank has been up and running for 3-4 mos. now, but I started planning it in August 2015.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2371.JPG
IMG_2369.JPG
IMG_2368.JPG
Today I added an LED under-cabinet light in the sump. What a difference!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest update. I started nopox yesterday to help out with the nitrates, which hover around 20-25ppm. I'm dosing 3ml/day, which is about half the recommended dose. I may stay at the half dose because I want the nitrates at about 10ppm. I'm going to take the gfo reactor offline soon. I know I tend to over feed and don't want to use large water changes as an export method.

I also changed to mesh socks that are drawstring. They are so much easier to clean. I wash them out every day.

I started feeding mysis shrimp as well as pellets. What a difference! The fish love it and all swim around much more. Plus it's a blast to watch them gobble it up.

I'm so happy with how the tank turned out. Take it from me-plan, plan, plan before you buy anything. It has saved me so much grief!

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious as to what you are using for flow in your tank? Glad things are going well for ya i filled my 40b pretty close to the same time as you and am having a wicked cyano outbreak and also just lost my the first fish i bought for the tank over the weekend too :mad:. Things arent going quite as well for myself but i am confident i can get it turned around. Are you going to be getting a light to keep some corals soon?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I use for flow is the Quiet One return pump. They're generic Sicce's and I love it. I won't be getting corals for a while because I need a controller and lights first. So I'm on the 2-3 year plan! Sorry about your cyano. Can you tell me more?

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice patience is a key. Im sure that the cyano is due to my nutrients being out of wack, nitrates have read pretty low since i have had the tank setup and im sure phosphates are through the roof. I do weekly 10% waterchanges and I recently started running a carbon and zeolite mix, but that has not really made a difference. I just ordered some chemi pure elite today im hoping the gfo will help. Plus it is still a new tank so i need to practice the patience thing too.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice patience is a key. Im sure that the cyano is due to my nutrients being out of wack, nitrates have read pretty low since i have had the tank setup and im sure phosphates are through the roof. I do weekly 10% waterchanges and I recently started running a carbon and zeolite mix, but that has not really made a difference. I just ordered some chemi pure elite today im hoping the gfo will help. Plus it is still a new tank so i need to practice the patience thing too.
A gfo reactor might do the trick with phosphates. Mine were .18 after the cycle and gfo in a reactor took them down to 0 within two weeks.

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been pondering a diy reactor, but that is about as far as i have gone with it. If i were to actually persue it i would need to alter my return plumbing to add a manifold which wouldnt be that difficult it would be just taking the time to do it. Is that what you are running in your reactor now?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been pondering a diy reactor, but that is about as far as i have gone with it. If i were to actually persue it i would need to alter my return plumbing to add a manifold which wouldnt be that difficult it would be just taking the time to do it. Is that what you are running in your reactor now?
You don't have to change your plumbing. Two Little Fishies has a Phosban reactor (I have the 150 model) that's hang on in your sump. Just get a good pump and it will work with your existing setup. Here's mine in the middle chamber:

image.jpg

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to change your plumbing. Two Little Fishies has a Phosban reactor (I have the 150 model) that's hang on in your sump. Just get a good pump and it will work with your existing setup. Here's mine in the middle chamber:

image.jpg
Is that a filter sock on the outlet? Whats the gph for the pump that you are using for it? Its actually cheaper than i would have thought for something like that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back