glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soon you'll be ready for some......

IMG_1658.JPG

Welcome to the 40B club!! Mine is now 2+ years old. Just a kiddy pool still [emoji38]
Oh I'm still a little ways away from coral. It will be fowlr until I can buy lights

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on filling the tank with RODI then mixing the salt in (no rocks or sand yet). Then I'll place the dry rocks (will plan placement outside the tank). I'll add some live rock from my other tank to seed the dry rock. Finally I'll 'pour' the aragonite sand (also not live) out of the bag which will be lying on the bottom of the tank. I learned this trick a few years back, and it makes for much less of a sandstorm. Then I'll start the cycle with pure ammonia and Dr. Tim's bacteria. I know it will be awhile before a dry rock tank cycles, but want to do things right. Any feedback is welcome!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't it be easier the other way around? Add rock/sand then measure out total volume?
It would be if I wasn't mixing the salt in the tank. I don't want to do that with the rocks/sand, even tho they're dry. Plus, wouldn't the sand fly everywhere when I added the water? I'm open to suggestions as I've never cycled with dry rock.

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see that you have resumed your build! I too am curious about your order of doing things. Here's what I did in my tank. Create rock structure and add to the tank. Then fill up the sand. Fill it up with water and let it run! I did add filter socks to my overflow standpipes. Sure it created a sandstorm but it wasn't too bad at all and cleared up in 2 days. Assuming you use a hose to fill the tank up (instead of buckets), you should be able to avoid the waterfall effect that you would get with buckets, or water falling from the return line down to the floor of the tank. The other thing you can do is put a dinner plate on the sand and direct the water from the hose so it hits the plate as opposed to the sand. This will help prevent kicking up a lot of the sand.

I too am curious why you are adding salt to the tank instead of making the saltwater outside the tank. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it matters a whole lot on the first fill.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see that you have resumed your build! I too am curious about your order of doing things. Here's what I did in my tank. Create rock structure and add to the tank. Then fill up the sand. Fill it up with water and let it run! I did add filter socks to my overflow standpipes. Sure it created a sandstorm but it wasn't too bad at all and cleared up in 2 days. Assuming you use a hose to fill the tank up (instead of buckets), you should be able to avoid the waterfall effect that you would get with buckets, or water falling from the return line down to the floor of the tank. The other thing you can do is put a dinner plate on the sand and direct the water from the hose so it hits the plate as opposed to the sand. This will help prevent kicking up a lot of the sand.

I too am curious why you are adding salt to the tank instead of making the saltwater outside the tank. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it matters a whole lot on the first fill.
I just thought it would be easier but I see your point. I can mix up saltwater for every 5g I make then pour it in. I don't have enough water storage to make it all at once then mix in the salt. So if 5g at a time seems like a good plan, that's what I'll do. I should be able to make all the water in a day.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my plan for rockwork. Tell me what you think! Plus, what's the best thing for attaching them to each other? I've heard epoxy but isn't that really smelly? I'd rather use something that isnt.

IMG_1795.JPG

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1954.JPG
Filled! 45g total for tank and sump with rock and equipment displacement. I'm so glad I measured exactly at the beginning. Dosing will be much more exact. Once the sand settles, the pumps go on and the cycle begins!!!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 5 of the cycle. Ammonia is 2ppm, Nitrites 0ppm and Nitrates 2ppm. I used Dr. Tim's One and Only. I've started up the skimmer and gfo reactor. The original return pump I bought was too powerful, so I've ordered a Quiet One 1200 to replace it. Right now the tank is noisy, but should quiet down once the new pump comes in. I'm so excited to finally have it up and running! I'm on a 3-year plan to get a controller and the right lights. It will be fowlr for now. Wish me luck!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that with the skimmer on, there is much more water evaporation. Has that been anyone else's experience?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
More airflow will cause more evaporation. Looking good!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 37 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back