GlennF's 300 gallon DSR reef.

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past i had few but the succes rate was very low. They died within a few weeks to max. 8 weeks at that time i kept my nitrate and phosphate both zero.

In dec 2013 i purchased one and kept it till aug 2014. I lost it due to a stupid mistake.

I have read a great deal of research that suggests elevated iron levels helps the pinched mantle protozoan thrive. Some suggest the proto is always present, others consider it may die off after a couple months if not "fed".

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glennf, what is the right water spec to keep the clams?
the red outlined parameters are the basic values needed to be controlled first:

15228323358_6995e21e63_o.png

the other values will benefit SPS species the most.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read a great deal of research that suggests elevated iron levels helps the pinched mantle protozoan thrive. Some suggest the proto is always present, others consider it may die off after a couple months if not "fed".

the stupid mistake was a overdose of iron because of a programming failure (which was my own fault). The dosing unit was set to dose from 23:00:00-10:00:00, instead was was suppose to be 23:00:00-23:00:25 (total 25second). This emptied the whole remaining quantity in the bottle of the Iron suplement (Fe+) into the tank. The concentration iron dosed was 1+ ppm, which has known to be toxic for some fish and clams. This i can now confirm.
The next morning when i woke up the tank water was yellowish and in the week next to this incident the Tridacna died.

i avoid iron concentration above 0,25ppm. This which will seldom happen, because iron don't stay very long time present in the water column. Six hours after dosing the concentration is already reduced to < 0,05ppm.
most of it is being percipitated as Iron(hydro)oxide, iron phosphate and other non soluble iron compounds.

this incident could be avoided if i was not trying to program the dosing unit at 1:00am (for the next day) with my sleepy eyes and went straight to bed. (plain stupid)

lets say... "Lesson learn the hard way"

Last edited:

jkef2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sat and read your entire thread in a single sitting and the work beautiful don't begin to describe your tank. There are not words to describe the beauty it has. Very nicely done.

I do have a question for you. What's the minimum tank size you recommend using the vingar dosing on?
How would one find out the amount to dose depending on tank size?

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sat and read your entire thread in a single sitting and the work beautiful don't begin to describe your tank. There are not words to describe the beauty it has. Very nicely done.

I do have a question for you. What's the minimum tank size you recommend using the vingar dosing on?
How would one find out the amount to dose depending on tank size?

Thanks!

I use a vinegar sugar blend and therefor use a modified table.

But you can use plain vinegar also.
Read more about it here:
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index...ar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium

jkef2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much.

One more question. Is there anything you recommend on treating algea blooms? I just moved my tank over from a 20g to a 40 gallon breeder and it seems Im having a rather large algea bloom. My phosphates are reading "0" due to the algea eating it all up I'm trying certain filtration that sucks up phosphate just don't seem to be working.
Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks!

I use a vinegar sugar blend and therefor use a modified table.

But you can use plain vinegar also.
Read more about it here:
Reefkeeping Magazine - Vinegar Dosing Methodology for the Marine Aquarium

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the stupid mistake was a overdose of iron because of a programming failure (which was my own fault). The dosing unit was set to dose from 23:00:00-10:00:00, instead was was suppose to be 23:00:00-23:00:25 (total 25second). This emptied the whole remaining quantity in the bottle of the Iron suplement (Fe+) into the tank. The concentration iron dosed was 1+ ppm, which has known to be toxic for some fish and clams. This i can now confirm.
The next morning when i woke up the tank water was yellowish and in the week next to this incident the Tridacna died.

i avoid iron concentration above 0,25ppm. This which will seldom happen, because iron don't stay very long time present in the water column. Six hours after dosing the concentration is already reduced to < 0,05ppm.
most of it is being percipitated as Iron(hydro)oxide, iron phosphate and other non soluble iron compounds.

this incident could be avoided if i was not trying to program the dosing unit at 1:00am (for the next day) with my sleepy eyes and went straight to bed. (plain stupid)

lets say... "Lesson learn the hard way"
I learned the hard way never to change ANYTHING when you're tired.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much.

One more question. Is there anything you recommend on treating algea blooms? I just moved my tank over from a 20g to a 40 gallon breeder and it seems Im having a rather large algea bloom. My phosphates are reading "0" due to the algea eating it all up I'm trying certain filtration that sucks up phosphate just don't seem to be working.
Any advice is greatly appreciated

What kind of algea? Where os it growing? Place a picture
What is you nitrate?
What test do yo use for PO4 and NO3

Last edited:

jkef2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it's GHA and some other. I been using purigen and chemi pure elite to slow it down but don't seem to be having any impact
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1414186516.453927.jpg

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what an amazing read and an amazing tank!!

I have been wondering what kind of coral is this?
glenf coral.jpg

Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming!!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 113 73.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back