Glueing GSP?

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was moving something in my tank, and my GSP plug was knocked and some of the GSP just fell right off it. It’s kinda…. Just laid on a rock right now?

Wondering how easy it would be to stick this sucker to the back wall/overflow box?

Dont have any spare frag plugs and was wondering if it would just kind of survive if I glued it directly to the back wall? I’ve heard GSP will just grow over glue so figured it would be fine?

Turtle_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was moving something in my tank, and my GSP plug was knocked and some of the GSP just fell right off it. It’s kinda…. Just laid on a rock right now?

Wondering how easy it would be to stick this sucker to the back wall/overflow box?

Dont have any spare frag plugs and was wondering if it would just kind of survive if I glued it directly to the back wall? I’ve heard GSP will just grow over glue so figured it would be fine?
I've glued mine to my wall of my tank, also have removed it off of a rock and just glued it without gluing to a frag plug. I've seen some cool tanks with gsp grown on the whole wall and that's kinda what I'm going for. If you glue it in the bottom corner I was told it will grow up to the light and fill the whole wall.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can glue directly to glass. Gsp grows better on coralline encrusted glass.

Turtle_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your gsp is out if you just move your finger along them for it to shrink back in it kinda feel like leather really weird texture but this picture might help. Depending when you do it you might not see your gsp for the whole day because they will be irritated but they will come back out. It's basically like gluing it to a plug but to your wall instead. I just put a little bit underneath it I use reef glue works amazing that's what I glued all my corals with and then it's a wait for them to grow.

Attachments

• 20220302_205936.jpg
    20220302_205936.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 113
OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your gsp is out if you just move your finger along them for it to shrink back in it kinda feel like leather really weird texture but this picture might help. Depending when you do it you might not see your gsp for the whole day because they will be irritated but they will come back out. It's basically like gluing it to a plug but to your wall instead. I just put a little bit underneath it I use reef glue works amazing that's what I glued all my corals with and then it's a wait for them to grow.
That's a weird colour flesh, mine is a really dark purple that's almost like putty and super soft

Turtle_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a weird colour flesh, mine is a really dark purple that's almost like putty and super soft
I just looked it up I think it look fine lol I mean it could be my lighting because when I removed it off my rock its darker than that but looked pretty normal to me and it's doing good so I think it's okay I did see darker colors online like really dark flesh but mines just lighter I guess.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally okay with that, as long as it doesn't hurt the GSP.

I assume it will just grow over the glue and you eventually won't see it.
GSP is very forgiving. I accidentally glued some to a frag plug upside down (glue on the polyp side) and it managed to grow out anyway :)

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked it up I think it look fine lol I mean it could be my lighting because when I removed it off my rock its darker than that but looked pretty normal to me and it's doing good so I think it's okay I did see darker colors online like really dark flesh but mines just lighter I guess.

I have two different varieties of GSP, one has a pink base, and the other is dark purple, so I think both are perfectly normal. :)

Funny, just like the OP I recently had a chunk of GSP come off a frag plug and it's been getting tossed around on the sand for weeks. Opens every day but has not attached to anything. I wasn't sure what to do with it so I'm glad to see it can simply be glued down without doing any harm.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.. had a bit of a disaster. Wanted to get it done sooner rather than later, I grabbed my trusty gloves and Reef glue, picked up the free floating GSP and attempted to glue it.

Oh.. crap. The glue has gotten on my gloves, and the GSP is now stuck to my gloves and this glue is the strongest adhesive substance known to man. It could hold the ******* Russian-European relationship together if it wanted.

So I now have GSP stuck to my glove, sort of being torn apart as I have to rip my fingers from each other, and the rest falls to the bottom of the tank. I take what’s left, and glue it to the back wall. But I now have TWO pieces of GSP free floating instead of just one.

Absolute nightmare. Maybe I’ll just leave it now and hope what fell down settles and grows on the sand.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.. had a bit of a disaster. Wanted to get it done sooner rather than later, I grabbed my trusty gloves and Reef glue, picked up the free floating GSP and attempted to glue it.

Oh.. crap. The glue has gotten on my gloves, and the GSP is now stuck to my gloves and this glue is the strongest adhesive substance known to man. It could hold the ******* Russian-European relationship together if it wanted.

So I now have GSP stuck to my glove, sort of being torn apart as I have to rip my fingers from each other, and the rest falls to the bottom of the tank. I take what’s left, and glue it to the back wall. But I now have TWO pieces of GSP free floating instead of just one.

Absolute nightmare. Maybe I’ll just leave it now and hope what fell down settles and grows on the sand.
Can you glue the gloves to the glass?

Just kidding. Sorry about your nightmare.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you glue the gloves to the glass?

Just kidding. Sorry about your nightmare.
That would make one strange centrepiece

It’s all good, I’ve seen GSP torn apart before and be absolutely fine, hell it’s kind of how you frag it. It’ll be fine, I just didn’t think it through very well lol

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidently tore my GSP when trying to remove it from the frag plug it came on. I ended up glueing both pieces to a new magnetic plug. The bottome piece took a little longer to open back up, but they are both doing fine now. Just waiting to see if they grow back together. sorry, my pictures are so bad...lol

long polyp gsp.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back