Gnarley's 120 Build Thread

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by GnarleyMarley, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Ebone

Ebone Well-Known Member

that is awesome! great job

GnarleyMarley likes this.

2. john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3 cyclOps R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Hub City Reef Club

Great deal and awesome first selections. those 2 fish really set the tone for what's to come.

3. luke33

luke33 Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Looking great! Can't wait to see it up and running.

4. GnarleyMarley

GnarleyMarley Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor

Me too lol! it's been pretty slow going, but Ito getting there!

5. GnarleyMarley

GnarleyMarley Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor

I got my acrylic back from the shop today and couldn't wait to build my ato reservoir, so here she is :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

36x4.5x18 are the dimensions, so she can hide behind my sump ;)

BMW540 and john.m.cole3 like this.
  6. Krawl

Krawl Active Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Very nice. Can't wait to see more...

7. justingraham

justingraham Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member Partner Member 2018

Where did u get the Weldon from?

8. GnarleyMarley

I had to call about a dozen plastic fabricators before I found any that carried it, but I got lucky and a place in town sold me the large can for $9 sure beat paying the hazmat fee to get it online

9. GnarleyMarley

Hey guys, sorry its taken so long to get to this update, but apparently photobucket has changed their mobile app and made it much more difficult for me to share pics. In any case, I have been busy and I am proud to say I filled the tank up over the weekend. What better way to kick off the new year than with a new tank :D this post will be pretty pic intensive but I wont muddle it up with a bunch of words. So just kick back and enjoy the progress :) and thanks for stopping in to take a look...
    ATO Resevoir
    [​IMG]
    Electronics wall (waiting on apex to get back from the shop before I fill it with goodies :) )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Filling her up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Full
    [​IMG]

10. GnarleyMarley

CLEAN!!!
    [​IMG]

Now all I have left to do is: complete my manifold, hook up the apex, repaint the stand with one final coat, install backing for the shelves, hookup the automatic water change station, and plumb in the frag tank, also build the canopy, and hang the lights. So not out of the woods yet, but at least I have enough projects left that I wont be tempted to rush the cycle. Patience is always key in this hobby, and if you don't have a lot of it its always best to have something to keep you busy while you are stuck waiting :D

riche likes this.
  11. riche

riche Well-Known Member

Is the canopy going to be as high at the shelves?

I am going to be redoing my living room with the tax mans gift LOL and I am going to sell my 180 and setup a 120 but the wife asked me to make it a show piece and I have been looking for ideas because the wall is like 12 ft long and the tank is only 4ft like yours. This is a dream

12. GnarleyMarley

I thought about making it as tall as the shelves, but after I put the tank up there I think it will look a little weird. My shelves are 4' tall and I'm thinking about making the canopy about 12" tall. that gives me plenty of room to mount my radions & t5s, and by making it a separate piece, I don't have to deal with the headache of attaching it to the bookshelves while trying to avoid light spillage. Also I think that by making it lower than the bookshelves it will give it a little more depth, visually, instead of making it a huge rectangular box with a tank in the middle LOL.

Something like this could work for you. our wall is roughly 15' and the tank takes up about 8.5' and that give me enough room for the wife's doll display case on one side, and my chiller on the other LOL. plus I have 8.5' of cabinet space which is awesome, but is filled up remarkably fast :D

13. bknapp

bknapp Has been left unattended MTRCMember

Awesome work.

14. riche

riche Well-Known Member

When u make your canopy, is it going to sit on top of the tank like a regular style canopy?

15. GnarleyMarley

Yea that's the plan. The shelves are 4' tall, the tank is 2' and I plan on making the canopy 1' tall i think it will add more dimensions to the setup. I originally planned on connecting it to the bookshelves, but after getting the tank up there I think it would take away from the setup.

16. riche

riche Well-Known Member

Please post a picture of the canopy when you build it. This a great stand bud.

17. GnarleyMarley

Thanks man, I definitely will.

18. GnarleyMarley

Built a couple frames for my clear mesh tops!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mdbannister, eleet and Anirban like this.
  19. eleet

eleet Active Member 3RMAS Member

Those frames are great! How did you do that?

20. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Nice job! Remember you can upload photos directly to the forum that's easy!

Draft saved Draft deleted