OP
OP
GnarleyMarley

GnarleyMarley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those frames are great! How did you do that?

I just cut out the outside perimeter square out of a piece of 3/8" cast acrylic using the table saw. Then I moved the fence over a bit and cut out the inside square, and to get the track for the spline that holds in the mesh, I just lowered my saw blade to cut about half the thickness of the acrylic and made another pass.

guess I should mention that these are just going to sit on top of the tank, not fit directly into the openings, and I only say that because acrylic will warp if it stays in constant contact with the water, so I'm hoping that by having the acrylic a couple inches from the opening that it will keep it from warping. However if it doesn't I can always bond some tabs to the top of the tank to hold it in place :) I LOVE working with acrylic LOL Its so much more versatile than glass!

If you are not looking to diy and you want some tops like these you should check out @ArtFully Acrylic they have some amazing polycarbonate screen tops, and they can custom make them to fit your exact tank. I'm hoping that these work for me, but if not I'll be saving up my pennies to get a set from them. If I only had a CNC ;D

OP
OP
GnarleyMarley

GnarleyMarley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I changed my plumbing setup lol. Due to the limited space in my overflow I had to resort to a stockman standpipe, and it was louder than I wanted and could only handle about 500gph, which is way less than I wanted. So I drilled the back of the tank in behind the overflow box and added a second drain line so I could run a full syphon herbie style overflow. WOW what a difference it made! I now have my temporary return (mag 9.5) wide open and have my drain cut back about 30-40%. Now I can upgrade my return pump to power my manifold and still get a good turnover rate. Here I come dc9000!!!!

20170117_205922.jpg

20170117_205911.jpg

OP
OP
GnarleyMarley

GnarleyMarley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my apex back from the shop yesterday!!! I cant wait to hook up all my goodies!!!!!!

#reef2reef #worldwidecorals #mywwccontest

elec%20panel.png

Last edited:

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. At least I saw there is light and water and everything is worked as it suppose to.

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in materials for the stand and canopy and book shelves what do you have into it cost wise?

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the stand, about 300-400. Not too bad considering the size
Does that inc the accent lights and butcher block?

And speaking of accent lighting, what did you use? My wife loves your stand and hopes I can make one like it for the 180

OP
OP
GnarleyMarley

GnarleyMarley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that inc the accent lights and butcher block?

And speaking of accent lighting, what did you use? My wife loves your stand and hopes I can make one like it for the 180

The accent lights are just Led peel and stick strip lights from amazon. I got 36.5' for like $25.

As for the table top it is just made of 2x6 cedar boards, I think I used 5-6 @ ~$8 a board. Then used a kreg jig to attach them together. Then wood putted the cracks, sanded and stained it. I also trimmed it with 1x2s to give it a finished look. So all in all the tabletop was about 80-100.

jparkerdc4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show a picture of the Herbie drain you drilled in the back to supplement your other drain? Curious how you did that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back