Gnarley's 120 Build Thread

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by GnarleyMarley, Oct 9, 2016.

1. GnarleyMarley

GnarleyMarley Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor

Well its time to move up :)
    We recently bought a new house in Denver (NC) and with the additional space, I got the go ahead for a new build (YAY) If any of you followed my old thread, this one should move along a little faster than the last (Hopefully). My goal is to have the new tank wet within the next 2 months.
    Anyway on to the build.
    Step one was to rip out the carpet and put down vinyl tile down where the tank will be. The reason for this is, we are putting down wood floor in the spring (Tax season :) ) and I need to have something permanent that I can work around, that will go with the new floors.
    So here's what that looked like...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tags:

2. GnarleyMarley

GnarleyMarley Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor

As for the tank, I picked up an acrylic tank from a member a couple months ago, and the plan was to sand it down and start new :) I looked at glass, but I really wanted a new clean tank without any scratches and the only way I could swing it was to put in a little elbow grease.
    So anyways, I started sanding it yesterday, and it was not easy LOL. I manage to get the left side in & out, as well as the inside of the front in about 4-5 hours.
    I started with a 1000 grit, then worked my way up to a 2000, then 3 stages of novus all by hand, and finally Plastix to finish it off. And I must say it turned out pretty good. Unfortunatley, pretty good is not what I am aiming for, so it was back to square one.
    After I finished there were still a few deep scratches that I could not get out with the 1000 grit paper. So it was back to Lowes. I picked up[ some 600 grit and started again. I sanded frint, sides, and top in and out with the 600 grit, then went over it and where ever there was a deep scratch I had missed I filled it in with a sharpie, then sanded until the scratch was gone. I spen 8 hours on the tank today and only managed to get the 600 grit done. So maybe tomorrow I can get started with the 1000.
    Heres, a couple shots of the first try & then where I'm at today...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres my plan for my new stand....
    [​IMG]

3. GnarleyMarley

DONE!!!!!!!!

B4
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

justingraham and Aussie paul like this.
  4. GnarleyMarley

Got some more work done today. I managed to get the center part, which will house the aquarium, framed up today. I ended up essentially building a stand within a stand to beef up the structural integrity of the part holding the aquarium. The outer edge will essentially be a tabletop, so there will not be any real weight on it.
    I opted to build this thing in 5 parts. The main stand, two smaller cabinets, then the two bookshelves. And I will assemble it inside. I figure then I can handle it with a hand truck by myself :)
    I'm hoping to get the two smaller cabinets framed up tomorrow, then work on paint as time allows next week. Then hopefully I'll be skinning it next weekend :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. GnarleyMarley

Frame built!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ready for interior paint!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Interior paint done!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ramasule likes this.
  6. GnarleyMarley

I've managed to get a little work done over the past few days :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'll b moving it in the house this week, then I'll be able to put on all the trim. Just have to finish the false wall for the electronics. Gonna b sweet!

CJs Aquariums, Ramasule and Chrisfish like this.
  7. GnarleyMarley

It's in the house!!!!! Now the real fun begins! Tabletops, trim, and bookshelves oh my!!!
    [​IMG]

8. Pruett-nc

Pruett-nc Well-Known Member

Lookin good man . Keep the pics. Coming . If I am not mistaken I have met you at reefsmart a couple years back .

GnarleyMarley likes this.
  9. GnarleyMarley

Probably so ;) I didn't make it last year, but made it to every other one :)

10. bknapp

bknapp Has been left unattended MTRCMember

Good work buffing the tank and so far on the stand build. Looking good.

11. GnarleyMarley

My Kraken sump :D so far.... Gonna b sweet ;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have a little touchup work to do, but so far I think its going to be pretty sweet. And my inspiration for the design came from one of the awesome sponsors of this site ;) it will become more evident as this thread progresses lol

SallyWho likes this.
  12. john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3 cyclOps R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Hub City Reef Club

Unleash the Kraken!!!

I really dig your cabinetry skills. My next tank is going to be a 120. Following along!

13. GnarleyMarley

Lol, no skills, just a lot of trial and error :)

14. john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3 cyclOps R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Hub City Reef Club

So you are not a cabinet worker? A normal guy like me could make a stand like yours? I really like the extra counter space you made on the stand. I'm hoping to make my future 120 a peninsula

fragit and GnarleyMarley like this.
  15. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Cyber Monday Sponsor

Congrats and nice work on that stand!

16. GnarleyMarley

Not a cabinet maker just a surveyor lol. Anyone can do what I have done with a little planning. The only part so far that would require any skill was the cabinet doors, and instead of making them I just bought them at the habitat rehome store for $4 a piece then sanded them down and painted them, the rest is very simple especially if you are painting it. Paint and trim hides a lot ;) I built a stand for my 60 cube out or red oak with a poly finish, and it was much less forgiving.

Tsev03 and john.m.cole3 like this.
  17. GnarleyMarley

Finished the sump!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I still have to wipe off the blue sharpie I used to mark my spot for the baffles, so just ignore the blue lines LOL

S.O.MLemos and jungvarsky like this.
  18. GnarleyMarley

And I managed to putty my countertop, sand it down and get it ready for stain!!! Should begin staining tomorrow, But it'll take a while since I am using a couple different color stains to create the color I want, then a few coats of poly to make it nice and shiney :).
    [​IMG]
    I also picked up a shower drain yesterday, so as soon as I get time I can start drilling holes into the floor, to begin the work for the automatic water change station :D

john.m.cole3 likes this.
  19. Fin

Fin Tank Status: Still Dry R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

Cool build! Will be following along to watch it come together.

Smiley31-1.gif

20. gcrawford

gcrawford Well-Known Member

Amazing so far! Following along.....

Draft saved Draft deleted