Goatfish shipping troubles

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am into unusual fish for my FO display which will hopefully be upgraded soon;)

Anyhow, I’ve been trying to get a goatfish for quite a while, I cannot get them to survive shipping. Different species always DOA, I just received one from DD which I figured would be ready to go in aquarium life but was dieing when received and dead with the hour.

I’m starting to feel like I’m supporting the capture and death of these delicate fish.

Anyone able to get these guys going? Shipping success?

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am into unusual fish for my FO display which will hopefully be upgraded soon;)

Anyhow, I’ve been trying to get a goatfish for quite a while, I cannot get them to survive shipping. Different species always DOA, I just received one from DD which I figured would be ready to go in aquarium life but was dieing when received and dead with the hour.

I’m starting to feel like I’m supporting the capture and death of these delicate fish.

Anyone able to get these guys going? Shipping success?

Thanks

They are definitely delicate to ship. Smaller ones ship better. I would have thought DD fish would have been o.k., since they have a "resting" period between importation and reshipment. I worry about LiveAquaria b/c the fish can be imported one day, and then double bounced out to you the next day or two, adding to the shipping stress.

I presume you've tried a bicolor goat? I've always found those to be the hardiest.

Jay

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are definitely delicate to ship. Smaller ones ship better. I would have thought DD fish would have been o.k., since they have a "resting" period between importation and reshipment. I worry about LiveAquaria b/c the fish can be imported one day, and then double bounced out to you the next day or two, adding to the shipping stress.

I presume you've tried a bicolor goat? I've always found those to be the hardiest.

Jay

Actually that one I haven’t tried, I’m really into the red goatfish, absolutely beautiful. I think the bicolor stays the smallest though, I think I will give them a try next.

Tough to QT too because they need sand and rock, do you have any qt tips with these guys?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually that one I haven’t tried, I’m really into the red goatfish, absolutely beautiful. I think the bicolor stays the smallest though, I think I will give them a try next.

Tough to QT too because they need sand and rock, do you have any qt tips with these guys?
I've quarantined them in bare tanks before without any specific issues that I can recall. I know they are considered "copper sensitive" but that stems from 20 years ago when all we had was copper/citric acid mixes. Coppersafe would be better tolerated, or you might consider hypo.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back