Goby & Non-Pistol Shrimp Combo?

Reevak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep watching videos on gobies and pistol shrimp where they mention that there are many species of gobies and shrimp that pair but only some pair with pistol shrimp, yet I can't seem to find any information on goby and shrimp symbiosis without it being a pistol shrimp. Does anyone know of any (or if this is even true)?

OP
OP
Reevak

Reevak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that happens, and some species of shrimp might even go after fish including the Goby. Stick to either A. Bellulus or A. Randalli to play it safe.
I don't think I'm getting anything any time soon but I appreciate the advice. I was just curious because I kept hearing the same thing.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very important to know that not all species of Pistol Shrimp pair with Gobies. Caribbean species for example don’t have this instinct in them at all, because Shrimp Gobies are confined to the Pacific and Indian Oceans. There are more species of shrimp (Alpheus) that pair with Gobies than the two common ones I have listed, but we can’t identify all of them so to stay on the safe side stick to either a Tiger Pistol or a Candy Cane Pistol.

OP
OP
Reevak

Reevak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very important to know that not all species of Pistol Shrimp pair with Gobies. Caribbean species for example don’t have this instinct in them at all, because Shrimp Gobies are confined to the Pacific and Indian Oceans. There are more species of shrimp (Alpheus) that pair with Gobies than the two common ones I have listed, but we can’t identify all of them so to stay on the safe side stick to either a Tiger Pistol or a Candy Cane Pistol.
Good to know. If I ever got one I'd research whatever was best for whatever goby I wanted. Maybe even buy them already paired if that was an option (I haven't looked because I am not getting one fora long time, if ever)

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about the size of your tank, but I think in a large tank chances are they’ll take longer to find each other and since they’re anything but fish that like to be out in the open, you might have a harder time seeing them. I think this particular combo is better for a smaller or medium tank unless you’re okay with fish that you won’t see as much.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. If I ever got one I'd research whatever was best for whatever goby I wanted. Maybe even buy them already paired if that was an option (I haven't looked because I am not getting one fora long time, if ever)
They are easy to pair up. I would recommend buying paired already or buy the goby first. Once the goby is established introduce the pistol shrimp to the goby. I used a turkey baster and took off the bulb and literally guided the shrimp to the goby. Once they touched it was done and they were paired.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t heard of any other shrimp except alpheus species to pair with gobies. I know some gobies (Bryaninops) are found on corals and gorgonians, but other than that I’m pretty sure no shrimp other than pistols pair with these fish. Most of them are solitary animals and prefer to be either in pairs or singularly, often in the wild pairs are found with shrimps, same thing as with singular specimens.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back