GOING BIGGER: Are you planning a reef tank UPGRADE?

How soon to you plan to upgrade your aquarium?

• Happening NOW

Votes: 172 21.8%
  • Within 6 months

Votes: 69 8.7%
  • Within 1 year

Votes: 95 12.0%
  • 1 - 3 Years

Votes: 144 18.2%
  • Not sure when but at some point

Votes: 193 24.4%
  • Never

Votes: 117 14.8%

• Total voters

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I'd like to have a 300ish gl tank the wife would not go for it but if I found a really good deal then it would happen anyway. Better to ask forgiveness LOL.

JAHreef08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a innovative marine 150 gal lagoon that I’m in the process of setting up.
AE3A91F0-1869-4308-B80E-E972F25A90E2.jpeg

Pretty difficult to find friends to help you pick up a 350pound tank while there is quarantine happening lol.

98353A9E-57AA-41AB-A577-C38EF4F043A5.png

lefty54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used 120 reef ready dual overflow 4x2x2 with Current USA 8 bulb T5, stand, heaters and some extra stuff.
Going to be picking it up within the next week or two.
I'm upgrading because my current 40b setup was just a stepping stone to begin with, time to move on, bigger and better!

8bulb current.jpg
120 gal.jpg
IMG_20200314_131238.jpg
IMG_20200314_131842.jpg
That's a nice size. I am searching for used setup 180 but would do 120 for my first build.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m always planning on bigger. Right I’m setting the biggest tank I can get away with in my apartment (115 gallon display with 125 gallons of sump), but when my kids graduate high school in about 9 years I plan on building my dream house - and my dream aquarium.

I want to build a 1,000 - 1,500 gallon system and basically build the house around it. It will be viewable from the living room, kitchen, and dining area with a devoted fish room(s) in the basement.

I’m a divorced guy and I have nobody to compromise with when it comes time to do things like this.

Marlon_Holland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 72 gallon bow front right now and want to upgrade to 100 gallon plus, I am looking at the Waterbox 135 or redsea reefer 525xl.

Connor540

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely itching to upgrade from my 60 cube but it'll be down the road. I'm currently saving up for a wedding and the inevitable first house while moving into a different career path. On top of that my other hobbies are expensive too (Jeep, sporting event tickets, and way more technology than I need) so it's a constant balancing act . My fiancée is already pretty on board with the idea of a designated fish space in our first house so that's awesome! I love the look of my current tank and it's starting to hit it's stride but a 2 foot square is really limiting. The allure of tangs and larger fish at the local shop are constantly pulling me to the big tanks. I may keep the cube running but hopefully in a few years I'll be in a new home with room for some length and triple digit volume!

JAMreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks! Hope your day is off to a good one. I'm sure it's going great if you're planning on a new tank upgrade soon! I thought we could talk about that today and what you're planning on doing! So please let us know by answering the following questions:

1. Are you planning to upgrade your aquarium to a BIGGER aquarium soon or at some point down the road?

2. Why are you planning for a bigger tank? Why the upgrade?

If you have any photos of a new upgrade please share!

GOING BIGGER.jpg
Bought a biocube 16 over Christmas. It only took a couple months for me to convince my hubby I had to have a bigger tank... my Red Sea 350 is being delivered within the next week! Only regret is I wish I could have been able to afford to go even larger!

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info, but I think if/when I upgrade I'll just start from scratch. I've been pretty cavalier with my first reef tank

This is some really good information and I think leads to a great follow up question.

When upgrading, how many of you would start from scratch (and why), and how many would transfer over your existing rock, corals, fish, etc?

I think if/when I upgrade I'll start nearly from scratch. I would like to keep my fish and maybe certain corals, but I have a few unwanted hitchhikers (vermetids...ARGH!) that I would really want to avoid transferring to a new tank.

If I were upgrading an existing system, I would be very selective on what fish I brought forward, and frags of my favorite corals - it is too difficult to build something from an established colony and you can treat frags like they came from the store to quarantine and attempt to avoid bringing any pests forward.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the planning stage of my 225 gal upgrade. Upgrade will not happen till the beginning of next year. Going with a 225 gal 72”x30”x24” CDA tank.

I had to look up CDA tank but putting that name on the list. Their tanks and stands look great and seem to be built to last.

Cleaner.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im doin a 75 right now,,ive done the big tank thing yrs ago(240) my current tank allows me freedom,,my big tank came with a 75 breeder 8 pairs of discus and all the fun of breeding them,it was seriously the most fun I had in fish !! BUT IT WAS EITHER THE FISH OR MY COMPANY,,,sry for the caps,,,,,kindom concrete cutting came of it ,,we had 20 yrs of that plus 10 yrs boucin around in the field learnin the trade,,,,retired----wheew ! next !

wildcrazyjoker81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going from my 40B to a 220G Peninsula later this year pending me buying a home. Been killing me having such a small tank due to renting a home.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1583020372787.jpeg 20200322_121017.jpg

KJones90s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had my 120 Aqua Japan dropped off in my garage, upgrading from a 60 tall.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing planned anytime soon due to unknown moves that will come down the road. But we do have plans for a 300+G reef one day when we make it to our forever home. I settled for a 20G to start since we’re in an apartment and just getting married and all. She wants me to go bigger than 380G but I don’t know If it will happen. At least I know it can if I do what it one day haha

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
My husband and I are actually planning an upgrade and a new tank. We'll move from a 28-gallon nano cube to a 54-gallon corner tank next month and then in August, I'm getting the Red Sea Reefer 200XL for a seahorse tank. I think we'll keep something in the nano cube, but I'm not sure what yet. Maybe a nice little clown tank. Any suggestions?

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
My husband and I are actually planning an upgrade and a new tank. We'll move from a 28-gallon nano cube to a 54-gallon corner tank next month and then in August, I'm getting the Red Sea Reefer 200XL for a seahorse tank. I think we'll keep something in the nano cube, but I'm not sure what yet. Maybe a nice little clown tank. Any suggestions?

Go clownfish/nem tank that’s my plan for the 20g when I go bigger

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good timing on this poll! I am upgrading my 93 sps/wrasse dominant cube and picking up SCA 150 from fellow reefer. Its the biggest tank I (think) can fit down my stairs. Super pumped for more wrasse and fish. The 93 cube has been rolling lately with great sps PE, color and growth. I'm excited but at the same time nervous to move healthy coral.

I'm upgrading because my boss has grown tired of the cube and never really liked the tank dimensions. :rolleyes:

I hope to up and running mid summer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back