Going from a 1 gallon to a 3 gallon.

Obsessed with fish

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 20, 2021
Messages
769
Reaction score
722
Location
Australia, NSW, Sydney.
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! This is a build thread for my tank upgrade, I'm upgrading from a 1 gallon to a 3 gallon, the 1 gallon tank has been running for about 5-6 months, the 1 gallon tank is currently stocked with 2 zoas, 2 red mushrooms and 3 or 4 unidentified snails.

The 3 gallon was originally a freshwater betta tank, but the betta sadly passed away 5 days ago at 4.5 years old, he was my 1st fish!

I have soaked the tank in hot water for 3 days with dishwasher liquid, I have scrubed the glass well. I will hopefully do the transfer this weekend. I am going to use sea water I will collect from the beach (Sydney harbour), I will acclimate the coral to get used to the sea water because I used ro water in the 1 gallon.

Equipment/stock from the 1 gallon I will use:
2 zoas frags
2 red mushrooms
The sponge filter sponge to go in the power filter
Heater
1 live rock.
Substrate
Equipment from the 3 gallon I will use:
Power filter
Tank
New Equipment/stock:
1 neon/clown goby
1 Green star polpys OR pulsing xenia
1 or 2 mushroom/s
1 bumblebee shrimp
1 dry rock
More Substrate

I do have 1 question because I'm new to reef tanks, because I'm using cycled filter media, Sand and rock do I need to cycle the tank? I will post updates when ever something happens.
 
What an awesome project! Looking forward to seeing your updates!

The cycling process is really the development of nitrifying bacteria, yes? So, assuming your beneficial bacteria colonies survive the move, it seems you wouldn’t need to re-cycle the tank. If you have access to the appropriate test kits, it may be beneficial to test your parameters before introducing your new vertebrate friends.
 
What an awesome project! Looking forward to seeing your updates!

The cycling process is really the development of nitrifying bacteria, yes? So, assuming your beneficial bacteria colonies survive the move, it seems you wouldn’t need to re-cycle the tank. If you have access to the appropriate test kits, it may be beneficial to test your parameters before introducing your new vertebrate friends.
Thanks for the advice, before adding stock I will test my water parameters to make sure it's safe.
 
Edit: So sorry, not sure why this posted twice, and I cannot seem to delete the duplicate so I am making this edit.

Cannot wait to see photos of your new nano once it is up and running!
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new