Going from a 20g to a 75g. What do i need?

Salt in Texas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am getting a 75g tank from petsmart. It comes with tank, stand hood and led light bar for $299

I have a 20g tank with some softies, clean up crew and a perc.

I am going to go with 120 lbs of sand and plan on putting the sand from the 20g in to kick start the curing process.

I am getting a canister filter rated at 120g tank size. Also going to reuse my heater from the old tank, it was rated to 75g

After the salt if right and the temperature is correct what do I need to do migrate everything over?

On my 20g I am using a Current USA Loop led light. I will use it on the new tank as well as the led supplied with the tamk.

Any help and suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance!

Kaldos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a protein skimmer next (especially if you want more fish). It makes a huge difference.

If you move all the rocks and sand from the 20g, you should have enough bacteria available to be able to move the livestock over at the same time (especially if you only have one fish). Pickup some Seachem Prime just in case you have ammonia issues after the move.

Go easy on feeding the fish (or adding more) until more bacteria is available for processing ammonia in the new tank. Ammonia can kill coral, but only fish (and feeding them) create it. If everything's been fine in the 20, the same stuff should be fine in the 75 as well.

Again, wait awhile before adding more fish, and go slowly when you do. It takes bacteria a while to catch up to increased ammonia levels, and that's where you can run into problems if you add too many fish too soon.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I would use a canister filter, and I am sure most other members would advise against it as well. Maybe go for a 20 gallon sump, or if you want, might I point you to this:

I have one in my 10 gallon, and am getting another ine in this weekend for my 29 gallon.

Just an option for you.

swebb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also consider switching to two heaters rated below your maximum volume (2 for 50 gallons) and then setting them staggered (1 turns on at 75 and off at 78, the other turns on at 77 and off at 78). It could decrease the chance that the heater overheats your tank. Also switching out your heater regularly is not the worst habit to be in as it is a relatively cheap piece of equipment that has the potential to destroy the tank and even harm you.

OP
OP
Salt in Texas

Salt in Texas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as a canister goes I am open. Just looking for something cheaper.

Brad ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I would use a canister filter, and I am sure most other members would advise against it as well. Maybe go for a 20 gallon sump, or if you want, might I point you to this:

I have one in my 10 gallon, and am getting another ine in this weekend for my 29 gallon.

Just an option for you.
That aio is really cool, I’m just worried it doesn’t have the capacity to filter very well‍♂️

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go canister. They're just too much of a pain to clean and generally don't offer much in the way of removing gunk and oils from the surface of the water, since the intake is below the surface. Miss one cleaning and the goo builds up in the filter and flow slows to a crawl. You need to clean a canister filter as often as people change out filter socks or filter floss, which is usually every 3-5 days for me.

That aio is really cool, I’m just worried it doesn’t have the capacity to filter very well‍♂

Not sure what concerns you have. There's probably going to be more volume in that AIO than a canister, and each chamber can be cleaned separately as needed without difficulty.

Personally, I wouldn't run a 75 with anything other than a sump (even if it's just a wide open 20 gal to hide gear in) and a beananimal overflow.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75. I would definitely recommend a sump. I have one of the eshopps ones. Fits perfectly in the stand under a 75. I would even say it's probably cheaper in the long run and you keep your options open for adding additional equipment down the road.

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“What do I need?” = $$;)

Seriously, I upgraded from a 30 to a 75 about 5 years ago and the best thing I did was add a sump.

Also for the transition, I got a bunch of dry rock and put it in a tub in the basement with some of the live rock from the 30g for a month or so to get it seeded while I got everything else ready. My 30g was about 17 years old, and the rock came from quite a few different sources, so a good mix of bacteria and life forms.

have fun!

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 29 gallon for a couple months to see if SW was for me. I only had a couple of clowns and an RGB. Once I moved my FW fish out I moved everything over, no cycle issues but like people said, add new fish slowly. I have a 20 gallon long as my sump and it works fine. I did go cheap on some of equipment and wish I bought good to start with. Get a good skimmer, good lights if you plan to keep anything other than a Kenya Tree. I got the Maxspect Razor X lights from BRS and have been happy. I also got a Varios return pump and it has been running for over a year with no problems. Run dual heaters and I would recommend keeping them in the sump to keep everything tidy in the DT. Also get an ATO, makes things easier and I had enough room under my stand to put a 10 gallon tank for water storage
20200208_151211.jpg
20200207_155156.jpg

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found that in this hobby sometimes going cheap ends up being expensive. Go with a sump if you look at most of the successful tank threads on this forum and you’ll see they’re running sumps. Not saying that you can’t run a canister filter but you’ll be better off

Last edited:

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on sumps myself but there are hang on back protein skimmers and canister filters. I 100% think you should source put a used over flow box and sump it up. Well worth the hiding equipment and getting extra water volume. But if that's not do able then hang on back filters can work (ish)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back