Going to start over and need advice

reefertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 200 gallon with all the bells and whistles. But when I moved it crashed and since then I have been fighting GHA for a solid 6 months. I have done everything UV, scrubbing rocks, water changes and nothing is helping. Now I got some new fish and got an Ich outbreak that killed all my fish but 3. So I recently set up a AIO 34 gallon cube and its been cycling for 2 weeks. I want to put the remaining fish and a few zoahs in new tank but do not want to contaminate it with and pest. Once I do this I am going to start over with large tank. New sand definitely and wondering if I can keep same rock? Just let it sit in the sun for a week or something. Can anyone give me some advice?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 200 gallon with all the bells and whistles. But when I moved it crashed and since then I have been fighting GHA for a solid 6 months. I have done everything UV, scrubbing rocks, water changes and nothing is helping. Now I got some new fish and got an Ich outbreak that killed all my fish but 3. So I recently set up a AIO 34 gallon cube and its been cycling for 2 weeks. I want to put the remaining fish and a few zoahs in new tank but do not want to contaminate it with and pest. Once I do this I am going to start over with large tank. New sand definitely and wondering if I can keep same rock? Just let it sit in the sun for a week or something. Can anyone give me some advice?
Take the rock and do a muratic acid bath in a trash can for about 45 min and rinse well, let it dry out for a couple days and you got brand new rock that’s po4 free… plenty of threads about muratic acid baths.

OP
OP
reefertank

reefertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I bring fish to new tank without contaminating it?

sbeason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your water quality where you moved to? Are you burning through your RO/DI resin faster? Did you reuse your sand from the move after rinsing it or did you just put it back in? Sorry lots of questions that can help maybe identify the cause....

OP
OP
reefertank

reefertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your water quality where you moved to? Are you burning through your RO/DI resin faster? Did you reuse your sand from the move after rinsing it or did you just put it back in? Sorry lots of questions that can help maybe identify the cause....
Rodi seems to be normal. Reads 0 when it comes out, but Maybe going through resin a bit faster. Did not rinse sand, kept 80% of water as well. tried to keep the tank as a whole. But I travel for work and tank lost power for 5 days and all fish died shortly after the move. This is when the GHA started. I have done so much maintenance trying to remove and prior to this I did not have this problem for years. With the time and cost of salt ( i have been doing 30 gallon water changes 1x a week for 5 months now) and the ich killing the second set of fish (over 1k invested) I just figure better to start from scratch. I have nothing but time and am in no rush.

OP
OP
reefertank

reefertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are fine… are fish displaying any ich? If so they would contaminate the new tank unless you treat them with copper.
Does copper hurt live sand and rock? could I treat in new tank and wait to add zoas? does it live in rocks I have a ton of GSP as well in current running tank. Freshwater dip needed for corals?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does copper hurt live sand and rock? could I treat in new tank and wait to add zoas? does it live in rocks I have a ton of GSP as well in current running tank. Freshwater dip needed for corals?
You don’t wanna run copper in a display or you won’t be able to house corals for a long time.. copper will leach into rocks and sand that’s why a quarantine tank is normally used with some misc pvc fittings for fish to hide in while being treated. I’d treat your small tank with fish only and copper.. cheaper and easier. Move your rocks and corals to the new clean tank and leave it fishless for 45-60 days or so.. by that time your tank has starved out any ich that hitchhiked on corals or rocks and your fish should be done with copper treatments and good to go into the new display.

ChefCab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish are small enough, you may want to consider a cheap Petco/Petsmart 10 Gallon tank, simple heater and HOB filter, as a hospital/QT tank. Copper, Nitrofurazone. 2 week observation, then into the new AIO. This will act as the decontamination between tanks and after use, doesn't take up a lot of space.
I only have my 75 Gallon display and a 10 Gallon Hospital tank. Very interested in your solution.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back