Gold indo torch pricing?

ChronicReefH2o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m in the market for a gold indo torch and prices seem to be up in the air for these guys as of recently. I wanted to see what you guys think and what are the current going price for a single head right now. Any support and advice is greatly appreciated. What would you sell it for if you had one available, not looking at retail price as they always over price things 3x as much lol.

Last edited:

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold a head of this torch for 75.00 a few backs. Prob could have asked for 150 and got it. Pretty sure it’s an indo gold torch.

73C06EFE-5606-4C77-B65E-0CA92F6BEA9B.jpeg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately gimmick has made this coral more expensive than is actually worth, if you end up following the trend you may find yourself out of pocket

OP
OP
ChronicReefH2o

ChronicReefH2o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trend is ridiculous right now and it’s insane how much someone priced them at. I’ve seen people asking for $400-$450 per head and got sold too recently. Would you say the price is roughly about right?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if iam.wromg but I thing the reason isn't because of the trand but because of the indo ban.

Lol a local supplier just got in 3000 heads of torch last week at those numbers I recon the ban is a bit of a bull *****

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never be sure what they sell for in the sale forum here because the agreed upon price is done through messaging usually. They do seem to be going for 200+ recently.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trend is ridiculous right now and it’s insane how much someone priced them at. I’ve seen people asking for $400-$450 per head and got sold too recently. Would you say the price is roughly about right?

If ppl keep on paying crazy prices then it’s right. At the end we ( the consumer ) decide what’s right in it. But I can name 10 other corals we’re I would rather spend my money. The hype for gold is only temporary nxt year they will be giving them away again.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol a local supplier just got in 3000 heads of torch last week at those numbers I recon the ban is a bit of a bull *****

3000 Aussie heads.
Before the ban Australian corals were significantly more money then Indo. I would speculate people are paying more for the Indo gold torches not because of what they look like but where they are from.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Those would not be Indonesian gold torches. The ban IS in effect. Here an LFS is selling them for $200/head - they are planning on fragging them - bringing up the supply - then dropping the price. But for now - 200$/head.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3000 Aussie heads.
Before the ban Australian corals were significantly more money then Indo. I would speculate people are paying more for the Indo gold torches not because of what they look like but where they are from.

I’ll get you two pics on here of torches, can you tell the difference between indo and Aussie? I sure can’t. Bans are just an excuse traders use to take advantage of the hobby. And high prices make some corals attractive for some reason.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those would not be Indonesian gold torches. The ban IS in effect. Here an LFS is selling them for $200/head - they are planning on fragging them - bringing up the supply - then dropping the price. But for now - 200$/head.

Do they have a collection serial number? Isn’t strange that a ban is in place but the coral still popping every other day.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s normally pretty easy to tell the difference between indo and Aussie torches. I personally think it’s people and lfs labeling them wrong that gets everyone confused.

I haven’t seen any indo torches at any of the lfs I go to for a very long time now.

OP
OP
ChronicReefH2o

ChronicReefH2o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with John3, the indos are no where to be found at the LFS anymore. Those who own the indo gold torches do not want to sell and even if they decide too, the price is ridiculous high.

If there is a store selling them for $200/Head, I can assure you they’ll be out really fast.

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up at a frag swap in October for $150. It had 2 mouths at the time and now looks to be at least 3. Seems to be happy and growing well. About the size of a softball when fully open.

upload_2019-4-6_17-48-33.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with John3, the indos are no where to be found at the LFS anymore. Those who own the indo gold torches do not want to sell and even if they decide too, the price is ridiculous high.

If there is a store selling them for $200/Head, I can assure you they’ll be out really fast.
They are REALLY small heads - and - they 'aren't for sale' - but I know the owners - and they said they would sell one head for $200

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do they have a collection serial number? Isn’t strange that a ban is in place but the coral still popping every other day.

The coral isn't popping out every day - in fact several people have said that Indonesian coral is quite hard to find at an LFS. lets say the total number of torch corals exported from everywhere is 100,000/year. And now - 70% of those are no longer shipping - what do you think will happen to the price? The Indonesian export was a majority of coral shipped - so the prices have gone up. There are also differences between Australian and Indonesian coral in coloration. That said - there is PROBABLY some element of 'Indonesian is better' because you can't get them now (even though the difference is not that great)

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right before the Indo ban I picked mine up at a LFS. It was 130 for 3-4 heads. I like the orangish color it has compared to the typical Aussie gold torches more yellow tone. I also like the longer swaying tentacles. I do believe the Aussie torches get more of the gold coloration though and it is a correct statement saying they used to cost significantly more than the Indo gold torches.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back