Gold Rim Tang

Kyle Sicard

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 24, 2015
Messages
169
Reaction score
96
Location
Atlanta Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to pick-up a Gold Rim Tang or White Cheek Tang and when I was looking at live aquaria I noticed the price of the Hawaiian Gold Rim's was significantly more. What's the difference between the other locations and the Hawaiians?
 
The wages of the collectors are higher in Hawaii than in most other locales. Hawaii places limits on catches, and regulates the methods for catching them. I am also uncertain as to how abundant they are in Hawaii vs other locations.
 
So there is no difference in coloration or overall health of the fish? The only reason they are more expensive is just due to collection practices being different in the two areas?
 
The collection practices can contribute to better overall health, but that is dependent on the other options. There are plenty of other locations that also have good practices.
 
I agree with what eatbreakfast has said.
I will also add that they are a fish that will need quarantined and treated for ich as almost every single fish that arrives will carry something. They do not do well as many other fish do in tanks that have ever had ich or any parasite - they're sitting ducks. They also like LOTS of swimming room and IMO a 6 foot tank is a minimum.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new