Golden headed moray sick???

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so I’ve had this little golden headed moray for a few months now, and he’s eating the live foods fine (pre-quarantined Chromis, saltwater glass minnows, and other small schooling fish I’ve harvested from the ocean legally) but today I noticed bumps on his head near his eyes, is this normal or some kind of infection?
Eel was also pre-quarantined with medication before going in the tank. Won’t even look at frozen food unfortunately but I’m able to supply live foods for the moment. (Sorry about the chromis, they’re adorable but also his favorite )

If you know what this is, why it’s happening, and how I can treat it please let me know!!! He is the only inhabitant of the tank besides his live food and there are currently 5 chromis and 4 glass minnows in the 100gal tank (total water volume)

B27DBB40-8E79-4D7B-BC1F-11AA09B72FA1.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see you're having issues. Might be best to move this over to the disease forum. Before posting read the sticky at the top describing the information necessary to get the answers you need.

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so I’ve had this little golden headed moray for a few months now, and he’s eating the live foods fine (pre-quarantined Chromis, saltwater glass minnows, and other small schooling fish I’ve harvested from the ocean legally) but today I noticed bumps on his head near his eyes, is this normal or some kind of infection?
Eel was also pre-quarantined with medication before going in the tank. Won’t even look at frozen food unfortunately but I’m able to supply live foods for the moment. (Sorry about the chromis, they’re adorable but also his favorite )

If you know what this is, why it’s happening, and how I can treat it please let me know!!! He is the only inhabitant of the tank besides his live food and there are currently 5 chromis and 4 glass minnows in the 100gal tank (total water volume)

B27DBB40-8E79-4D7B-BC1F-11AA09B72FA1.jpeg
He’s probably sick due to the live ocean food. Granted it has lots of nutrients but you probably need to quarantine the feeder fish before adding them into the main aquarium. As far as eels go I’ve had lots in the past and they have all been picky eaters!! Try some frozen clam that has been soaked in garlic juice if he turns that down which he probably won’t but if he does he’s hopeless lol!! The garlic will also help boost his emimume system as well as make his food tasty!! As far as treatment I would use https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kanaplex-bacterial-fungal-fish-treatment-seachem.html this for bacterial and this https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/medic-parasite-treatment-polyplab.html for parasitic infection.

OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s probably sick due to the live ocean food. Granted it has lots of nutrients but you probably need to quarantine the feeder fish before adding them into the main aquarium. As far as eels go I’ve had lots in the past and they have all been picky eaters!! Try some frozen clam that has been soaked in garlic juice if he turns that down which he probably won’t but if he does he’s hopeless lol!! The garlic will also help boost his emimume system as well as make his food tasty!! As far as treatment I would use https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kanaplex-bacterial-fungal-fish-treatment-seachem.html this for bacterial and this https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/medic-parasite-treatment-polyplab.html for parasitic infection.
Hi I do quarantine all live foods :)

OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see you're having issues. Might be best to move this over to the disease forum. Before posting read the sticky at the top describing the information necessary to get the answers you need.
Sorry about that I didn’t scroll down enough to find the disease forum! Is there a way to transfer it or do I just copy paste this post on there?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These eels have heavy slime coating but this appears bacterial. As you know, they are not the best housekeepers and water quality is essential and feeding of live foods can often trigger bacterial and /or fungal issues. Its best to wean this eel to squid and silversides.
Treatment best will be a Broad spectrum antibiotic. Ruby rally pro should be effective as well

OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These eels have heavy slime coating but this appears bacterial. As you know, they are not the best housekeepers and water quality is essential and feeding of live foods can often trigger bacterial and /or fungal issues. Its best to wean this eel to squid and silversides.
Treatment best will be a Broad spectrum antibiotic. Ruby rally pro should be effective as well
They can trigger infections even if prequarantined?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do you happen to know why that happens? I’d love to know more. Currently in my medications I have chloroquine phosphate, would that help my eel?
CP may have an effect on them based on concentration

Back