Goldflake Angelfish difficulty?

UncleSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I picked up a juvenile Goldflake from DD the other day and he's doing well in my QT tank at the moment. He's eating flakes and shrimp and looks extremely healthy.

I went through several Regal angelfish before I found one that I could get to eat. He did very well and survived a year, then developed some sort of blockage and sadly passed away.

I chose the Goldflake to replace him and just wonder if I am going to have the same level of difficulty with this fish, as I did with all the Regals. LiveAquaria says its "moderate" level of care, but I wanted more of a first hand account from those who have owned this particular fish on how well it does in captivity and if there is anything I can do to help ensure the success of this fish!

OP
OP
UncleSalty

UncleSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a blurry picture of the little guy. He is a lot more active than my Regal ever was. Regal was a lot bigger, but this Goldflake just swims and swims and swims.....

2k1OPezh.jpg

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few.. Always bigger guys and would do well then fade away.. But yours is juvenile so if it's a pig now I think you could be in luck... Just my 2 cents...

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly suggest treating for internal parasites, whether symptoms or not, it wouldn't hurt. But it will be deadly if you don't, these guys many times have internal parasites, and once they stop eating and you realize it, it's too late. Since he's eating it would be good to add a Seachem metro/focus mix to his food.

I've only had my flagfin about a yea r now and he's thriving; he enjoys live black worms and grazing on caulerpa, I add brightwell angelixir to his food and add angelixir formula foods to the mix. Maintaining long-term nutritional requirements should also be noticed.

I lost a goldflake due to the internal parasites, had I followed my advice above, I'd still have him.

Last edited:

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree they are notorious for internal parasites. I’ve experienced very poor survivability with GF’s. There is a reason they are rarely seen thriving in home or public aquariums.....

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that is now four years in captivity and thriving. He survived being banished to my sump for 8 months on flake food only from an auto feeder - for crimes against clams - survived getting shredded by a nasty tomato clown (who now resides in the sump). He is currently looking better than ever in my display tank. He's a happy fat gorgeous fish who thinks he is a tang.

Relevant backstory, this one I bought two years ago, from another reefer who brought him back to the store of purchase after owning it for two years (probably, for crimes against clams), and, entering the store twice... it had been treated twice with said reef store's prophylactics.

Perhaps the success of this angel versus other I have had was the anti worming it got... so I would agree with treating for internal parasites to avoid the mysterious wasting phenomenon, as I have had that happen to other angels at about the 6 month mark.

Of four angels I have had, this is the only one to last more than three years. I am also feeding much more generously than I ever have.

Good luck.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that is now four years in captivity and thriving. He survived being banished to my sump for 8 months on flake food only from an auto feeder - for crimes against clams - survived getting shredded by a nasty tomato clown (who now resides in the sump). He is currently looking better than ever in my display tank. He's a happy fat gorgeous fish who thinks he is a tang.

Relevant backstory, this one I bought two years ago, from another reefer who brought him back to the store of purchase after owning it for two years (probably, for crimes against clams), and, entering the store twice... it had been treated twice with said reef store's prophylactics.

Perhaps the success of this angel versus other I have had was the anti worming it got... so I would agree with treating for internal parasites to avoid the mysterious wasting phenomenon, as I have had that happen to other angels at about the 6 month mark.

Of four angels I have had, this is the only one to last more than three years. I am also feeding much more generously than I ever have.

Good luck.
I’m very happy that its worked for you. They are beautiful. I have had almost every angel at one time or the other. Unfortunately I couldn’t get the 2 GF’s to survive. You have motivated for me to try again but only if I can get one from a fellow hobbiest Vs straight from the ocean. Continued good fortune!

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call... I always watch Craigslist and my LFS for fish that have been in captivity for awhile.
Yes I will be patient and wait. The only issue is I have a scribble, emperor, queen, flagfin and 2 dwarfs in my 625g now so the longer it takes to find one, the less tolerant they will be of a new angel invading their territory. They’ve all been together for about 6/7 months now.....also have tangs...blonde naso, yellow, purple, gem, blue hippo...so it may be asking for trouble....

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I will be patient and wait. The only issue is I have a scribble, emperor, queen, flagfin and 2 dwarfs in my 625g now so the longer it takes to find one, the less tolerant they will be of a new angel invading their territory. They’ve all been together for about 6/7 months now.....also have tangs...blonde naso, yellow, purple, gem, blue hippo...so it may be asking for trouble....

LOL! I should not be giving you any advice at all.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi sorry to resurrect a 3-year old thread but I’m very keen on a Captive Bred one. How big do these guys usually get in captivity and how large of a tank (in dimensions and gallons) will a fully grown one need? Any different for Regals?

Do they grow quickly?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back