GONIOPORA and general advice needed

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, so...my wife brought home some pink diamond goniopora from work. My tank is 2 months old, fully cycled with thriving GSP, pulsing xenia, and zoas. I also have a 2 week old trumpet and blasto which hasn't seemed to die yet and looks great. My parameters are barely 0-1 ppm nitrate, .02-03 phosphate, 7 dkh, 8-8.2 ph, and 430 ppm calcium. I have tried feeding and turning off my skimmer more and can't seem to get my levels up. I also have a small hob refugium. So far all of my corals are showing some growth but I am worried I have too much going on with a new tank and my water isn't nutrient rich enough for this goniopora. I have 5 fish with plans for 3 more ehich will hopefully increase bioload. So, as I wait to see if the gonio survives, should I just keep everything running as is and hope my levels increase as its fairly new or if it doesn't should I start thinking about maybe even slowly dosing a little nitrate to about 10 ppm or so. I like having my refugium and skimmer running to keep ph stable, as I also plan on raising a healthy copepod population for a mandarin by the end of the year. As for my alkalinity, I'm trying not to chase numbers and just stay with my weekly water changes and so far things seem to be ok but I would like to bump it up a little and hoping as my tank matures a little levels will rise without having to really start dosing until I have more corals. So you think this goniopora is gone-apora? Or should I just relax and see what happens

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, so...my wife brought home some pink diamond goniopora from work. My tank is 2 months old, fully cycled with thriving GSP, pulsing xenia, and zoas. I also have a 2 week old trumpet and blasto which hasn't seemed to die yet and looks great. My parameters are barely 0-1 ppm nitrate, .02-03 phosphate, 7 dkh, 8-8.2 ph, and 430 ppm calcium. I have tried feeding and turning off my skimmer more and can't seem to get my levels up. I also have a small hob refugium. So far all of my corals are showing some growth but I am worried I have too much going on with a new tank and my water isn't nutrient rich enough for this goniopora. I have 5 fish with plans for 3 more ehich will hopefully increase bioload. So, as I wait to see if the gonio survives, should I just keep everything running as is and hope my levels increase as its fairly new or if it doesn't should I start thinking about maybe even slowly dosing a little nitrate to about 10 ppm or so. I like having my refugium and skimmer running to keep ph stable, as I also plan on raising a healthy copepod population for a mandarin by the end of the year. As for my alkalinity, I'm trying not to chase numbers and just stay with my weekly water changes and so far things seem to be ok but I would like to bump it up a little and hoping as my tank matures a little levels will rise without having to really start dosing until I have more corals. So you think this goniopora is gone-apora? Or should I just relax and see what happens
gone-apora !!! haha,., I love that. Also love the way you are thinking about nutrients in a new tank. Adding Nitrates is a good way to go. Also watch your phosphate levels and keep it close to 0.1. I think the Goni will do just fine given the trumpet and blasto are doing okay.

OP
OP
CoastieFlo

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gone-apora !!! haha,., I love that. Also love the way you are thinking about nutrients in a new tank. Adding Nitrates is a good way to go. Also watch your phosphate levels and keep it close to 0.1. I think the Goni will do just fine given the trumpet and blasto are doing okay.
Lol thanks, over two months in and no detectable nitrates is definitely evidence my filtration and water changes are effective so far. Gonna order some nitrate and ever so slowly get those levels up a little and hope my alkalinity starts to rise as things settle out before I need to dose that.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back