Gonipora Poisonous?

Zoanthids

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
They can sting nearby corals so leave a few inches between Gonioporas and other corals. Additionally, This coral does not get along well with others, and will try to sting and kill any other coral in its vicinity, especially LPS corals such as frogspawn. You also shouldn't place two different species of Goniopora in a tank together. These corals can secrete a toxic chemical that will kill colonies of a different species.

RMS18

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
They can sting nearby corals so leave a few inches between Gonioporas and other corals. Additionally, This coral does not get along well with others, and will try to sting and kill any other coral in its vicinity, especially LPS corals such as frogspawn. You also shouldn't place two different species of Goniopora in a tank together. These corals can secrete a toxic chemical that will kill colonies of a different species.
I never knew that information! I have 5 different types all together in a "garden", guess I got lucky and they are the same species.

OP
tescalante

tescalante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I've got a couple Zoas more than few inches and it's tentacles are already touching, do you think it's best to move them?
It's only a 14 gal nuvo so have limited space.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I've got a couple Zoas more than few inches and it's tentacles are already touching, do you think it's best to move them?
It's only a 14 gal nuvo so have limited space.
dont move goni but the others

Maxout

JPM San Diego

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Gonipora, like most, if not all corals, have nematocysts and can sting.
Different corals are more or less potent. It is not alway predictable who will win in coral versus coral aggression.
Here is a picture of my red gonipora irritating the margin of my orange montipora.
(not the white growing margin, see the white faded areas in from the margin)
Gonipora vs montipora 2.jpg

What is your most favorite type of shrimp for your reef tank?

• Peppermint Shrimp

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Banded Coral Shrimp

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Snapping or Pistol Shrimp

Votes: 22 10.0%
  • Harlequin Shrimp

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Votes: 70 31.7%
  • Blood Red Fire Shrimp

Votes: 53 24.0%