Gonipora Poisonous?

tescalante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My Gonipora is doing really well getting big!
Can you tell me if its going to harm my zoas nearby and are they poisonous?

Thanks
Tony

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They can sting nearby corals so leave a few inches between Gonioporas and other corals. Additionally, This coral does not get along well with others, and will try to sting and kill any other coral in its vicinity, especially LPS corals such as frogspawn. You also shouldn't place two different species of Goniopora in a tank together. These corals can secrete a toxic chemical that will kill colonies of a different species.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can sting nearby corals so leave a few inches between Gonioporas and other corals. Additionally, This coral does not get along well with others, and will try to sting and kill any other coral in its vicinity, especially LPS corals such as frogspawn. You also shouldn't place two different species of Goniopora in a tank together. These corals can secrete a toxic chemical that will kill colonies of a different species.
I never knew that information! I have 5 different types all together in a "garden", guess I got lucky and they are the same species.

OP
OP
tescalante

tescalante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a couple Zoas more than few inches and it's tentacles are already touching, do you think it's best to move them?
It's only a 14 gal nuvo so have limited space.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've got a couple Zoas more than few inches and it's tentacles are already touching, do you think it's best to move them?
It's only a 14 gal nuvo so have limited space.
dont move goni but the others

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonipora, like most, if not all corals, have nematocysts and can sting.
Different corals are more or less potent. It is not alway predictable who will win in coral versus coral aggression.
Here is a picture of my red gonipora irritating the margin of my orange montipora.
(not the white growing margin, see the white faded areas in from the margin)
Gonipora vs montipora 2.jpg

Back