OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using two hydrometers and a refractometer and I can't get over the wide spread in range between all three. I'm going with the refractometer which is showing 1.026 while the hydrometers are reading 1.021 and 1.023 respectively. i feel safer with the refractometer since I've calibrated both with the Calibration solution and R/O water. Ive gone ahead and ordered a salt water specific hydrometer which should arrive Thursday. I'm just a little over cautious?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id stick with just the refractometer :)
There's an old saying "A man with one watch knows the time. A man with two is never quite sure"
Good luck on this amazing build. I'm definitely following along :)

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm sorry I haven't posted in the last few days but I recently discovered that there is a world outside reefing! :sad:
The good news is the tank is cycled and I'm ready to start stocking These are my water parameters as of today
Ammonia 0 PPM
Nitrite 0 PPM
Nitrate 5.0 PPM
PH 8.28
Specific Gravity 1.026
Calcium 420
alkalinity 8.8

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start stocking it slow if I was you and acclimate the fish as your PH is a bit high also your Nitrate, try to bring that to below 1.0.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help here
My Calcium isn't rising. I've used Salifert and API test kits. Both giving me about 380 PPM
I tried raising my Magnesium but I'm not getting past 1110 ppm using a Salifert test kit
I've checked expiration dates on test kits and they appear ok
I'm adding Magnesium -P by Brightwell and B-ionic
Any ideas? :squigglemouth:

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using? And what SG? Is your refractometer correctly calibrated? If your salt is actually low, it may be contributing to the low numbers.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for the gibberish guys. Don't know what happened there
I'm using Instant Ocean. I brought boxes of it with me from PA and I noticed it was really caked in the sealed bags. I was told the mix could break down in the bag but as long as I'm using the entire bag (and I did) it would all mix in the water.

Desert Orchid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just joined this forum but I've been keeping marine tanks since 1976. I think this is the first thread that has brought me to tears and it is So very admirable that you are creating Eve's reef in memory of her. I'll add my 2 cents when it will help, follow along with your progress and keep you and your daughters in my prayers. Keep on reefing even when it feels like it is more work than joy because in the process comes great rewards. Looks like being a part of this forum is one of them. Take care!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just joined this forum but I've been keeping marine tanks since 1976. I think this is the first thread that has brought me to tears and it is So very admirable that you are creating Eve's reef in memory of her. I'll add my 2 cents when it will help, follow along with your progress and keep you and your daughters in my prayers. Keep on reefing even when it feels like it is more work than joy because in the process comes great rewards. Looks like being a part of this forum is one of them. Take care!

Thanks so much!
Yes Eve did touch all our hearts and we focus with her Husband to get this reef going strong.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specific Gravity checked with hydrometer and refractometer...1.024 and 1.025 respectively.

What is ALK, CAL and MAG in your freshly mixed salt water?
What IO you got? Reef Crystals?

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for your touching words Desert Orchid and thanks Diesel for the response. Eve was an amazing woman and we loved her dearly. Thanks for tagging along. I'll be posting some pics soon. Been really busy on dry land.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that :( I am sure that 180 will be all she wanted and more.

Thanks 'H' ... yes I was able to take her with me to pick it and bring it home. Un fortunately she only saw it filled with fresh water when we checked for leaks. I like to think she's watching from up there and giving a nudge in the right direction

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1401388240.518351.jpg

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry guys and gals for my negligence . I just haven't been able to get online and update as I should

Okay... I've been adding frags and I have several fish in the system. Fish seem to be doing well. I have a Hippo Tang, Powder Brown, Male Blue Throat trigger, Purple Tang, Two Ocellaris Clowns, Two Cleaner Shrimp, Two Scarlet shrimp. I've had a few problems starting with an ongoing issue maintain my magnesium level above 1200ppm.
I've lost a couple of torch corals although I have Frogspawn and Hammer corals doing well. I just had a coral bleach overnight. I'm unsure why since it looked great the day before.

Back