Good or bad macroalgae

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some macro algae in my sump
not sure what this kind is...

Any suggestions on if I should remove some or add some different m algae?

it has Kissel growing light for about 10 hours a day currently..

sorta fills like something else is taking over...
E6AEAAD4-A602-4009-8949-DFA225AD95C2.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is heavy surface algae which will mat in time
Reduce white light intensity and check your phosphate and nitrate for elevated levels.
Scrub surface lightly with a firm toothbrush, siphon and add following snails:
3 each .............
Turbo
Nassarius
Astrea
Trochus
Nerite
6-8 blue leg hermit crabs

liquid vibrant would also clean this up

OP
OP
Sharebear

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you!
Would it be okay to add inverts into the
macroalgae refugium sump?
I could be getting the term “macroalgae refugium” totally wrong.. since I’m pretty new to the aquarium world... the tank came with the house..
I just ordered a bunch from reefcleaners for my display tank hahah

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macroalgae is a different word for seaweed, so things like kelp and Chaeto are macroalgae. Macroalgae is desirable because it looks good. What you have is microalgae, like green hair algae. Microalgae isn't bad, but most nuisance algaes are microalgae. It's undesirable because it looks ugly, although it helps by filtering the water.

You can add inverts to the refugium, and they'll help with the algae problem!

OP
OP
Sharebear

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macroalgae is a different word for seaweed, so things like kelp and Chaeto are macroalgae. Macroalgae is desirable because it looks good. What you have is microalgae, like green hair algae. Microalgae isn't bad, but most nuisance algaes are microalgae. It's undesirable because it looks ugly, although it helps by filtering the water.

You can add inverts to the refugium, and they'll help with the algae problem!
Oh.... no! Would you recommend I get rid of the micro algae and put in macroalgae instead? This whole time I thought the green stuff were macroalgae fighting the bad algae in the display tank..

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one reason most people keep macroalgae refugiums- to compete with the nuisance algae. Do you have a picture of the display tank algae? There are different methods to fight each type of algae.

I do recommend you take out the microalgae and add some macroalgae. Some of the fastest macroalgae growers are Chaeto and Caulerpa, which means they're the best at competing with the microalgae.

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh.... no! Would you recommend I get rid of the micro algae and put in macroalgae instead? This whole time I thought the green stuff were macroalgae fighting the bad algae in the display tank..
Hi I would reduce lights to 8 hrs. It’s probably from too much white light and phosphate build up. It’s not a problem now but can be so I would try to remove some and reduce the lighting. Hope this helps thx and good luck.

OP
OP
Sharebear

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So kinda cleaned up a little...
Was wondering if everything in here is hair algae? They are all green... hahahahaha

I think at this point I’m debating to either try vibrant + clean up crew or to just clean up everything and start fresh..With some copepods, new marine pure blocks, and maybe a mix of macroalgae...

If... algaebarn ever have chaeto in... I would maybe try the ultimate refugium pack..

To get rid of all and start clean or... attempt to salvage if there’s any Macroalgae living inside this.. green mess....

E69535D1-18DE-4A35-8A4B-C5424F6A512E.jpeg

OP
OP
Sharebear

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! I am glad there's some macro in the green madness.. I will try to green the green hair algae as much as possible now haha

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 61 43.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 65 46.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back