OP
OP
B

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve felt the same way dude. Sorry to hear all that’s been going on. The corals in my tank aren’t looking happy either.

It feels like I’m going through a minefield at times when I try fixing things.

At the end of the day I feel stability is the key. Which means adding more equipment which means more cost.

I hope you like discus keeping if you go that route. Freshwater was on of the least stressful times I had with great returns.

I absolutely LOVE discus. Gave it up several years ago and got into salt the last 2 years. Wow!!! So far....huge money pit. It’s had its ups and lots of downs. Lots of lessons learned

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my advice and it's up to you.
Creat a new post so better start
System parameters including po4 no3 and any other you have tested for
System filtration (mechanical and biological) and equipments (light skimmer circulation..etc)
Element Dosing
Do you dose anything beside elements
System inhabitants.
Pictures if the system and filtration

In that order.
Call me to that post if you like, we can take it from there..
First party for your recovery is focusing on the system details so we understand your system and its history exactly then you get meaningful advices.

Otherwise you might fall in to the vortex of never ending random suggestion and shots in the dark.

Your call my friend.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely LOVE discus. Gave it up several years ago and got into salt the last 2 years. Wow!!! So far....huge money pit. It’s had its ups and lots of downs. Lots of lessons learned

Discus are cool! I’ve always wanted a massive planted tank with thousands of tetras and other small schooling fish. I’m on my final reef aquarium. I’ve made it a doozy and it going well but we all know this eventually comes to end for all tanks. It’s a love/hate relationship sometimes more one than the other. When the time comes I’ll retire to a massive planted tank to pull my hair out over that instead :eek::D Good luck :)

OP
OP
B

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discus are cool! I’ve always wanted a massive planted tank with thousands of tetras and other small schooling fish. I’m on my final reef aquarium. I’ve made it a doozy and it going well but we all know this eventually comes to end for all tanks. It’s a love/hate relationship sometimes more one than the other. When the time comes I’ll retire to a massive planted tank to pull my hair out over that instead :eek::D Good luck :)

I’m close my friend

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for what's it worth I can't keep cloves in my tank. I keep less stressful corals like leathers. My first coral was a leather been with me through all the ups and down of my tank. It has more they quadrupled in that time. Look at easier corals.
@Katrina71 what's mike softy tank link

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its uncommon to have a few species of corals that refuse to thrive in any system. I have been killing chalices for months now.

You only mention acros and birdsnest, have you tried any of the "easier" sps? My couple acros are surviving, not necessarily thriving, but my montis, stylos, and pocilliporas are all doing quite well.

OP
OP
B

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its uncommon to have a few species of corals that refuse to thrive in any system. I have been killing chalices for months now.

You only mention acros and birdsnest, have you tried any of the "easier" sps? My couple acros are surviving, not necessarily thriving, but my montis, stylos, and pocilliporas are all doing quite well.

Same. Montis and LPS are kicking butt. They others are so so.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up with sps after losing the frags. after 2 years and a lot of confidence with lps, i ventured back with reasonable success. Since my parameters are pretty much the same, I attribute the success to the maturing of the nicrofauna and likely more stability that comes with aging of a tank.

fiwiw I still can't keep birds nest alive.

OP
OP
B

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s exactly what I’m gonna do. Let the tank turn some time and stock up on more fishies. I defiantly want more fishies! The reason I wanted to do salt

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! To the world of LPS ONLY REEFS filled with gorgeous zoas, palys, acans, mushrooms, you name it....

I too had spent a THOUSAND dollars plus on Acros.... only to see them grow for a year then within 5 days get STN and lose all there tissue and become ALGAE STICKS.

Acros, worse coral ever. They're boring bc they are just brightly colored sticks/branches with mild contrasts in color. Zzzzzzz ;Dead

Give me zoas and palys in crazy high contrast colors and patterns. Some have such crazy patterns its mesmerizing

I too have completely SWORE OFF all SPS. Only SPS in my tank was given to me for free and idc if it makes it or dies. If I wanna see nice SPS I'll go to the LFS.... let then kill the stuff

Welcome to our LPS Club. You will be much HAPPIER

leonardo-dicaprio-gatsby-toast.jpg

Last edited:

99Problems

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add me to the club. To much $$ and effort for my taste I'll stay in my softie/lps lane.

I've even been looking into fake corals. They add color to your fowlr and still get the forgiving nature. Not for everybody but I think it looks good (not my pics)

image.jpeg

54410826_10157068778503908_7231219093750153216_n.jpg

3C717CEA-E5E0-47A2-8358-5AED403CF6CE.jpeg

IMG_1234.JPG

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add me to the club. To much $$ and effort for my taste I'll stay in my softie/lps lane.

I've even been looking into fake corals. They add color to your fowlr and still get the forgiving nature. Not for everybody but I think it looks good (not my pics)

image.jpeg

54410826_10157068778503908_7231219093750153216_n.jpg

3C717CEA-E5E0-47A2-8358-5AED403CF6CE.jpeg

IMG_1234.JPG
Gorgeous tank all around. Love the simplistic look.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! To the world of LPS ONLY REEFS filled with gorgeous zoas, palys, acans, mushrooms, you name it....

I too had spent a THOUSAND dollars plus on Acros.... only to see them grow for a year then within 5 days get STN and lose all there tissue and become ALGAE STICKS.

Acros, worse coral ever. They're boring bc they are just brightly colored sticks/branches with mild contrasts in color. Zzzzzzz ;Dead

Give me zoas and palys in crazy high contrast colors and patterns. Some have such crazy patterns its mesmerizing

I too have completely SWORE OFF all SPS. Only SPS in my tank was given to me for free and idc if it makes it or dies. If I wanna see nice SPS I'll go to the LFS.... let then kill the stuff

Welcome to our LPS Club. You will be much HAPPIER

leonardo-dicaprio-gatsby-toast.jpg

Softies are even easier, not that I have a ton of trouble with my LPS.

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the same boat my friend---- It wasnt until I put a chloramine buster on my RODI unit--- The only advice i can throw out there is look to your water source and walk through your entire process to cross issues off the list.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have never opened this forum . Its scarying the heck out of me for my build as I plan on having mixed or mainly sps. Darnit!!!
Preparation and informed decisions are key in the hobby. Do not worry, just do research move slowly and do not chae every openion out there...these are the best arvices I wish someone gave me 10 years ago..

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preparation and informed decisions are key in the hobby. Do not worry, just do research move slowly and do not chae every openion out there...these are the best arvices I wish someone gave me 10 years ago..

I guess positive note if I fail I can just come over and take all your tank ;)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back