Gorgonian Recession

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this photosynthetic gorg for like 6 months now and it hasn’t opened in the past three, but has continued to grow and look okay. The other day it started losing flesh, so yesterday I took it out, cut off a little bit below the dying part, gave an iodine dip, and placed it into my new tank where in case it was a disease there shouldn’t be anything else floating around. Here are some photos.
9bf3ee3667dfe699810b7de905264847.jpg

a4007e3054f19406ff3e708186a5fcc2.jpg

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when my gorgs start to do that, it means they are not receiving adequate flow or the water quality has gone down.

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when my gorgs start to do that, it means they are not receiving adequate flow or the water quality has gone down.

My water quality is always good and stable, I am mostly into SPS specifically across but I do keep a couple soft and LPS as well. Initially this just started where it was touching another coral and i didn’t realize, but it only progressed from there. After multiple sections sections unfortunately it’s 100% dead now. The only other corals I’ve lost were one tenuis frag and a trachy, so this was also a bummer. I’ve prided myself upon taking the best care I can, but I suppose even the best reefkeepers lose corals sometimes.

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What aspects of water quality might attribute to gorgonians receding like this?

Usually high phosphates and nitrates. It's tough because you want to keep nutrient rich water and also feed the gorgonians, but you don't want the water quality to go bad. I find that I have to find the fine balance between nutrient rich water while not letting the parameters get out of control.

Gools

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did your gorg make out? I'm having the same problem as well

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back