OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He hasn’t eaten anything since the dips that Ive seen and he doesn’t appear to be breathing fast. I’ll give him a little bit longer and see what happens. Now is usually the time that they started getting active in the main display, 40ish minutes before lights on.

If no improvement I’ll start the copper before I head to work and hope for the best.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, No change for better or worse so I started adding copper. Going a little slower than yesterday though, with about half a milliliter. Will do another half before I leave which should get me to the .13/.15 neighborhood as we have almost the same ammount of water here as the other tank. within a gallon of eachother.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know that I’m going to be anxiously waiting for an update on the pintail tonight? I’m really hoping he perks up today...
There will be no shortage of updates, I can promise you that :)

Got the Tangs/Roseband up to .32 now and alls well.

The Pin Tail is still holding tight to a corner but is staying up right at least. whenever I do lightly touch him he will take a quick lap before retreating again. There’s definitely improvement though not as much as we might’ve hoped. I added another 5 drops of copper before I left. Will test tonight before dosing any more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home to find the Rose Band lying on its side underneath a piece of PVC. He had been fine to this point so I suspected the copper was getting to him. Quickly changed out a couple gallons of water, 30 min later and he's up again admiring his reflection. I will hold off dosing again until tomorrow morning. Copper is back to .25 after the change. No ammonia present

In the other tank the pin tail is back to lying on his side, the fathead anthias I expect will be gone in the next couple of hours. The Radiant came out of the sand at some point while I was gone but has retreated again to the sand. Only saw him for a minute before jumping on the water change above but he was at least swimming normally. The rest of the fish in there are seemingly ok, mostly hiding but at least they're buyont and not layed out. Copper's at .23 in this tank and I will hold here until morning.

The tight rope description is pretty accurate it would seem.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if it makes sense to shuffle fish around a little so we have one tank of fish that are handling the copper okay and another for the fish not taking to it as well? The tangs, angel, damsels and long nose hawk are seemingly unfazed. Assuming I lose the Anthias that would leave just the 4 wrasse for the other tank where I could go a slower with the copper. Not really sure what the trade off is as far as the time it takes to get to those .35 and then .5 numbers vs. slowing down for one or two fish.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe @ngoodermuth can clarify, but doesn't copper affect ammonia test kits? I've always been told to use the seachem alert badges.
I did not know that but I probably used enough pond matrix from the 40B sump to start 5 tanks anyway.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not know that but I probably used enough pond matrix from the 40B sump to start 5 tanks anyway.

I’ve never used pond matrix, that’s just biomedia, right? Was it seeded with biospira or similar? No chemical ammonia reducers (like prime?) have been used, correct?

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never used pond matrix, that’s just biomedia, right? Was it seeded with biospira or similar? No chemical ammonia reducers (like prime?) have been used, correct?
Yes, just a run of mill biomedia. No additives. Its well seeded for a year or more but I added a shot of biospira at start for good measure. Im really not concerned about ammonia. No prime or anything else. Just the copper.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it feels counter-intuitive... but I would try to keep pressing on with the copper. I’ve QT’d quite a few fish now and the “sensitive” ones are few comparatively. I’m 99% sure it’s the velvet taking them out, not the copper.

I had a couple of fish once, that I thought weren’t tolerating therapeutic copper. Re-tested the level against the reference sample (I was using the seachem test kit) turns out I was actually a little under therapeutic. Bumped it up to .5, and all of the symptoms resolved...

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pin Tails gone too. Im actually relieved because seeing him essentially rot away was pretty awful.

I see the wrasses faring worse every time I add even one more drop of copper. like Im killing them myself. Rose Bands fading now and the KwaZulu is almost having seizures. I expect they'll be gone by morning.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pin Tails gone too. Im actually relieved because seeing him essentially rot away was pretty awful.

I see the wrasses faring worse every time I add even one more drop of copper. like Im killing them myself. Rose Bands fading now and the KwaZulu is almost having seizures. I expect they'll be gone by morning.
Loudly_Crying_Face_Emoji_large.png

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry... this is awful... I wish there was more I could do :( You could try pulling the struggling wrasses to an unmedicated tank, but without something to keep the velvet in check... I doubt they will last long either way.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the levels at in both tanks now?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back