OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is what looks like Fin rot damage from the velvet or a result of copper? None of them had this visually before copper so I wasn't sure. The rose bands tail looks the same so i expect she’s next.

0A128767-B286-4D2E-A1CD-07BAC2A48E56.jpeg

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there! Had to go through the same, all my fish got velvet and then every possible disease after that.. its not easy, but so worth the headache! Now they are back in the DT happy, swimming around :) I hope it all ends well for you too !
Heres the link to my thread.. maybe you can find some useful info there: https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/467242/

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Both. Also erythromycin

When you get them in their own tank, I would dose both of them. I would do the Furan-2 first, wait an hour to make sure they can handle it... and then add the kanaplex.

Ideally, they are most effective when dosed at the same time, but in their current state... I think it might be better to be a little more careful.

And lots and lots of 02, you want bubbles everywhere. I run an airline right under my powerhead so it shoots all over the tank. If you feel like it’s overkill, it’s just right lol

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Rose Band seems to be a touch better after spending the night in the antibiotics and the KwaZulu is still generally ok. Im cautiously optimistic on the Rose Band since he was on deaths door yesterday.

Copper to .45 in the Tang tank and .38 in the damsel/hawk tank.

If the Rose Band shows improvement in the antibiotics do I keep him their another couple days before trying copper power or can they be used simultaneously? I think the infection is whats hitting her hardest but since Im clueless Ill follow the lead here.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get the copper power and want to try bumping the copper up again, those two antibiotics are fine to use with copper.

HOWEVER, copper is an immunosuppressant so might lessen the effectiveness of the antibiotics a bit... so I would definitely make sure he is eating and has a good head-start on the infection before hand.

Also, keep the aeration heavy when mixing meds and if the water becomes cloudy do a water change... dosing the new water with the appropriate amount of copper to match your QT, before it hits the tank.

The antibiotics should be dosed every 48 hours (for 10 days, or as long as 14 days if needed), and it’s advised to do a water change before each dose, anyway. Some folks have skipped waterchanges between doses without issues to help prevent copper fluctuations, but I would definitely use water quality as an indicator.

Last edited:

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Our spare bedroom looks much more like a lab than bedroom. Should probably ditch the bed and just make it a permanent addition. Fish room I mean not lab."

Nice, the return of humor :) Let's hope a corner has been turned. I'd consider keeping the lab, fish are expensive!

Last edited by a moderator:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busy day but made some progress this afternoon. The Rose Band was surprisingly still alive. Mixed up a bucket of fresh water and moved the two fairy’s into it. Bucket was best I could do quickly. Everything else is in use already or desperately needs a cleaning.

Our spare bedroom looks much more like a lab than bedroom. Should probably ditch the bed and just make it a permanent addition. Fish room I mean not lab.

Tangs, Angel and Radiant all doing well. Fed and all ate. Added some more cupramine and will test shortly.

Damsels and Hawk seem unfazed and eating. Damsels are like cockroaches anyway. Bumped copper there and still need to test.

Ordered copper power. Hopefully theres still a need when it arrives Sat morning. Overnight was an option but I want them to chill in fresh water for a day or two anyway before adding stress again. The KwaZulu is still pretty strong and hopefully hangs on, The rose band is a coin flip at best.

Thanks for the encouragement and help!

Maybe we should start referring to you as, "Scurvy Heisenberg!" (Hope you get the reference.)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once I get to .50 I know I need to keep that level for 30 days and if it drops below I start the clock again. At that point am I out of the woods geenerally with the survivors so long as they keep eating and dont develop any infections or could they just randomly die?
What else am I looking for?

I feel like I failed on the Pin Tail and Anthias for not recognizing what was ultimately infection. May not have made a difference but if I knew what I was looking at they might've had a chance.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I failed on the Pin Tail and Anthias for not recognizing what was ultimately infection. May not have made a difference but if I knew what I was looking at they might've had a chance.
Anyone who has been through what you are going though feels the same way. I lost 9 of 12 fish last month to Velvet. I kind of knew something was not quite right with two of the fish prior to my "Black Sunday" but my fish were super healthy and fat for 7 years so I figured I would give it a while to clear up on its own. To make matters worse, I didn't even look into fish disease to brush up on symptoms or treatment. When Sunday came around I had no medication except antibiotics and Prasipro on hand. A few fish were already dead and the rest were on deaths door. I referred to this forum often and spent the day doing what I thought was the best I could for the fish. I made a few HT/QT mistakes which may have played a roll in at least a few more fish deaths. It's hard not to feel responsible when your fish rely on you for everything and then everything goes wrong. You've got a better handle on your situation than I did. You should be proud of the way you have handled it so far.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once I get to .50 I know I need to keep that level for 30 days and if it drops below I start the clock again. At that point am I out of the woods geenerally with the survivors so long as they keep eating and dont develop any infections or could they just randomly die?
What else am I looking for?

Yep, definitely keep an eye out for signs of infection... but, otherwise you’ll be past the most difficult part by then.

Don’t be too hard on yourself, it might not have made a difference even if you did recognize it. I’ve had fish come down with bacterial infections and treated right away, I’ve even had them come down while IN ANTIBIOTICS, and pass away. Antibiotics don’t actually “cure” the fish, they just help keep the bacterial population in check so the fish can heal enough that it’s own immune system takes over.

If the fish is too weak or is immunocompromised, there’s a chance that they will succumb no matter how quickly they are treated :/

You are doing a great job, and it’s all experience to carry on the next time you are faced with a sick fish...

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who has been through what you are going though feels the same way. I lost 9 of 12 fish last month to Velvet. I kind of knew something was not quite right with two of the fish prior to my "Black Sunday" but my fish were super healthy and fat for 7 years so I figured I would give it a while to clear up on its own. To make matters worse, I didn't even look into fish disease to brush up on symptoms or treatment. When Sunday came around I had no medication except antibiotics and Prasipro on hand. A few fish were already dead and the rest were on deaths door. I referred to this forum often and spent the day doing what I thought was the best I could for the fish. I made a few HT/QT mistakes which may have played a roll in at least a few more fish deaths. It's hard not to feel responsible when your fish rely on you for everything and then everything goes wrong. You've got a better handle on your situation than I did. You should be proud of the way you have handled it so far.
Sorry to hear that. It definitely blows.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back