Got a Plague Need Guidance

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be extremely careful doing this. I had a fallow period fail because of what we could only determine was frozen food keeping the life cycle going somehow. I had a BTA at the time and was feeding once a week with small chunks of frozen scallop and cod fillet. Otherwise, the tank was fallow for the (I think it's 30 days for velvet?), had no cross contamination, and the QT was in another room so no aerosol transmission.

I would dose straight NO3 or PO4, or use a pellet or flake food. I would not add anything fresh or frozen to the tank.
Is this because the free swimming stage could attach to the frozen Cod? Scallop is an invertebrate she shouldn’t become a host, correct?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this because the free swimming stage could attach to the frozen Cod? Scallop is an invertebrate she shouldn’t become a host, correct?
I believe that was the consensus. I think I had @Humblefish and @Amoo over on that thread 2 years ago...

I had treated and cured fish in my 40B QT tank that I had already removed copper from. I was just waiting on the fallow period to end. Upon introduction back to the display after the given fallow period, a few days later my tangs started showing the tell tale flashing swimming into flow and hiding from bright light. Never saw the visual signs, but I didn't wait on them. Back into QT and copper. I followed the exact same protocol as I did the first time, only without feeding anything other than pellet food once a week for the shrimp in the display. Second time worked.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I’ve never heard of a fallow period failing from frozen foods... it was my impression that most parasites will leave a host once it is deceased [emoji15] I couldn’t imagine them being able to host something that doesn’t have a pulse...but I could be wrong lol

When my tank was fallow, I only fed very sparingly, a pinch of pellets each day for the CUC, a little phyto and/or coral-sized foods (I used cyclops and oyster feast) maybe once or twice a week, and I dosed Nitrates very conservatively, just to keep them “detectable” on my test kit. I used the stuff for freshwater tanks, but I know some use stump remover as well. Chaeto and pods were good to go, and nothing really suffered otherwise.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be extremely careful doing this. I had a fallow period fail because of what we could only determine was frozen food keeping the life cycle going somehow. I had a BTA at the time and was feeding once a week with small chunks of frozen scallop and cod fillet. Otherwise, the tank was fallow for the (I think it's 30 days for velvet?), had no cross contamination, and the QT was in another room so no aerosol transmission.

I would dose straight NO3 or PO4, or use a pellet or flake food. I would not add anything fresh or frozen to the tank.

Wow, that's crazy! I've never heard of that before. This hobby is full of first time for everything moments. You may also just have had a resistant strain that managed to make it longer than usual in the cyst stage rather than the parasite existed longer by feeding on frozen/fresh foods. We know Ich and velvet absolutely need host fish to continue their cycle; however, the time frame for cyst and free swimming is different for each parasite. According to thesprucepets.com "Typically these cells can survive seven to eight days without a host, but in lower tank temperatures at around 75-80 degrees, some strains may last up to 30+ days." This longer time frame coincides with what I've read about resistant strains of velvet. @Humblefish also has an interesting thread that theorizes the type of lighting used on a tank can "feed" velvet and thereby keep free swimming dinoflagellatse alive longer, giving the velvet parasite longer to find a host fish. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/theory-on-velvet.359758/

I wonder... what kind of lighting did you have going on your tank at the time and what temperature did you keep your tank at during the fallow period?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's crazy! I've never heard of that before. This hobby is full of first time for everything moments. You may also just have had a resistant strain that managed to make it longer than usual in the cyst stage rather than the parasite existed longer by feeding on frozen/fresh foods. We know Ich and velvet absolutely need host fish to continue their cycle; however, the time frame for cyst and free swimming is different for each parasite. According to thesprucepets.com "Typically these cells can survive seven to eight days without a host, but in lower tank temperatures at around 75-80 degrees, some strains may last up to 30+ days." This longer time frame coincides with what I've read about resistant strains of velvet. @Humblefish also has an interesting thread that theorizes the type of lighting used on a tank can "feed" velvet and thereby keep free swimming dinoflagellatse alive longer, giving the velvet parasite longer to find a host fish. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/theory-on-velvet.359758/

I wonder... what kind of lighting did you have going on your tank at the time and what temperature did you keep your tank at during the fallow period?

On that tank I had SB Reef lights, 2 of the 16" over a standard 75g, and I've always ran 78°F or within a degree.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for all of the info. Haven't really had a chance to address the display other than tossing in some reef roids and a couple chunks of LRS or mysis. I'll probably just stick to mysis, reef roids and maybe some amino's. I need to take a night to rebuild the rock structures and run some tests I just dont have the motivation to deal with it.

Fish seem to be doing fine. No signs of anything on any of the fish and what looked had like scarring under UV light on the tangs has improved or even cleared. I assume this is a good sign that the worst is behind us but for all I know they could still drop dead tomorrow.

My last remaining fairy wrasse the KwaZulu is doing ok in the copper power/antibiotics and I should clear the theraputic 1.5 today. I may cease the antibiotics since they were really for the Rose Band anyway.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scurvy, I was in your same shoes a year ago. A dozen fish wiped out in 4 days. Saved some of the survivors in QT for a full 72 day fallow period. I don't put anything in my DT now that hasn't been treated with copper or CP for 14 days (and then moved to a fresh tank). Yes, the stress of QT and copper is bad for them, and some don't survive QT. But I cannot emotionally handle another wipeout. I seriously probably spent more money addressing the wipeout than the fish cost, and hundreds (literally, hundreds) of hours of my time. All because of velvet.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My heart hurts thinking about all of those beautiful wrasses...

How many days have the antibiotics been running so far? I’d be reluctant to stop before at least 7-10 days, just in case the antibiotics are holding something in check that you aren’t seeing...

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My heart hurts thinking about all of those beautiful wrasses...

How many days have the antibiotics been running so far? I’d be reluctant to stop before at least 7-10 days, just in case the antibiotics are holding something in check that you aren’t seeing...
5 days now for the antibitoic but only on the KwaZulu. He only ever showed a reaction to the Cupramine, never looked like the others with the infections taking hold and wasting them. I guess I can keep it going through another water change and a couple more days. I'll do one more round on Wednesday evening but probably pull him out Friday morning.

Im jammed up pretty tight from noon friday through probably next wednesday with work and will only be home a few hours each night to sleep. I figure better to have him out of the antibitoic before I can't really keep up with that particular maintenance routine.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely hate it about your Rose band. :(
Yes, She was a tough one to see go... They all were really but her and the Pin Tail hurt the most. She was just starting to get some transitional colors in her and would have been stunning as a male :(

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, She was a tough one to see go... They all were really but her and the Pin Tail hurt the most. She was just starting to get some transitional colors in her and would have been stunning as a male :(
It really hurts all of us to see your losses. Anybody's really.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190402_224326_01.gif
to scurvy and his fish.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, isn’t it a little early for that? Haha
#its5oclocksomewhere
LOL. I just got home from the end of my work week. Happy weekend! About to go to bed so I can get up for the kids after school.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. I just got home from the end of my work week. Happy weekend! About to go to bed so I can get up for the kids after school.

Ah, I don’t know how you third shifters do it! Enjoy your happy hour ;)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any input on feeding the fallow display? What did you do while you were fallow? Does 1/4 of my usual daily buffet say twice per week sound like a good place to start or is that overdoing it?

I have dialed back my fuge light by 50% intensity and cut a couple of hours off both ends of the photo period so far.

I know I need to keep the bacteria and snail population going but also will want to keep pods and chaeto thriving in the fuge if possible.
I'd feed very sparingly the display tank, without fish. Of course it depends on how many snails, crabs, and coral that require feeding are contained.

Sorry for your losses :(

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting an 18 hours work day myself.... Is it too soon for me to start drinking too? Lost the last Fairy wrasse sometime last night. The KwaZulu managed to find his way through the cover of his QT tank. Little bugger was doing great! After all the effort Im disgusted... Im actually glad I have 5 crap days of work ahead of me so I can get away from fish tanks.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back