Got a Plague Need Guidance

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who has been through what you are going though feels the same way. I lost 9 of 12 fish last month to Velvet. I kind of knew something was not quite right with two of the fish prior to my "Black Sunday" but my fish were super healthy and fat for 7 years so I figured I would give it a while to clear up on its own. To make matters worse, I didn't even look into fish disease to brush up on symptoms or treatment. When Sunday came around I had no medication except antibiotics and Prasipro on hand. A few fish were already dead and the rest were on deaths door. I referred to this forum often and spent the day doing what I thought was the best I could for the fish. I made a few HT/QT mistakes which may have played a roll in at least a few more fish deaths. It's hard not to feel responsible when your fish rely on you for everything and then everything goes wrong. You've got a better handle on your situation than I did. You should be proud of the way you have handled it so far.

Plus think of how many you saved out there for those of us reading this and making sure we are stocked up on all the meds. I wrote scripts today to get some Metro and CP stocked.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus think of how many you saved out there for those of us reading this and making sure we are stocked up on all the meds. I wrote scripts today to get some Metro and CP stocked.
Well after my run in with velvet and this one I purchased a 20g acrylic fish display my lfs was unloading for a QT. Is there a list of meds we should keep on Hand? This next part may not go over well but there are several that cannot QT or have the means to QT is there a Dip or process for new Fish?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after my run in with velvet and this one I purchased a 20g acrylic fish display my lfs was unloading for a QT. Is there a list of meds we should keep on Hand? This next part may not go over well but there are several that cannot QT or have the means to QT is there a Dip or process for new Fish?

Medications to keep on hand
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ications-to-keep-on-hand.213574/&share_type=t

Thorough QT is the only way to be sure you aren’t adding parasites to your tank. However, safety stop (Formalin dip, followed by methylene blue) is probably the most bang for the buck if you were only looking to reduce your risks.

Drawback of course, is formalin is a carcinogen and quite harsh... and still not going to be 100% effective.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like these two vids and use this combo (depends on the fish) I don’t use copper on wrasses hippo anthias. I dip with safety stop wait 48 add CP one time dose then wait 48 then add general cure mixed with focus to the food. And leave I’m the QT for 4-6 weeks.

Lots of ways I think.

I’m learning more from this thread.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, for one, am learning quite a bit on this thread. It's a shame that I am doing so at the expense of @Scurvy and his fish.
@ngoodermuth and @tdlawdo have provided some great info and I am appreciative for it all.

Still sending you good vibes Scurvy Heisenberg!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we cleared the .50 mark in both tanks last night. The 7 fish in these two tanks seem to be doing ok. Tight quarters which has been a challenge for the 2 tangs but nothing overly aggressive.

KwaZulu is doing fairly well but I think the antibiotics are just prolonging the Rose Bands suffering. I may use some clove oil and put her down. I really cant see her recovering from her current condition.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the rose-band... ugh my heart. I would try to find rally, or API fungus cure. It might be a last-ditch effort at this point, but I’ve had wrasses make a remarkable turn-around after a 90-minute acriflavine bath.

If it’s too much for the fish... at least you went down swinging.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the rose-band... ugh my heart. I would try to find rally, or API fungus cure. It might be a last-ditch effort at this point, but I’ve had wrasses make a remarkable turn-around after a 90-minute acriflavine bath.

If it’s too much for the fish... at least you went down swinging.

Her tail fin is completely gone, cant get a good enough look to confirm but it almost looks like flesh is exposed. I do have Rally on hand. I used it once before but it killed the fish fast and I was aerating heavily.
I need to do a water change and re-dose antibiotics later though so I could try it i suppose.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Her tail fin is completely gone, cant get a good enough look to confirm but it almost looks like flesh is exposed. I do have Rally on hand. I used it once before but it killed the fish fast and I was aerating heavily.
I need to do a water change and re-dose antibiotics later though so I could try it i suppose.

I would use clean saltwater for the bath, not water from your QT... aerate at least 20-30 minutes before adding the fish and make sure it’s kept at temp. If she doesn’t survive the bath she wasn’t going to make it regardless...

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question. If I were to get my last tank going with Copper Power and up to theraputic 1.5 - 1.75 Could I move fish currently in .5 cupramine over without too much impact or is that asking for trouble?

Trying to make things as manageable as possible and keeping up with two tanks vs three would be very helpful considering I still have a healthy Biocube to care for plus keeping up with the fallow display. The fallow tank is all messed up at this point. Cyano blooming and probably Dyno next due to lack of nutrients.

I would probably keep the tang tank as is and move the damsels/hawk into the copper power with the wrasse if it’s doable. If I'm risking loss id prefer it be there vs the Tangs or Radiant.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question. If I were to get my last tank going with Copper Power and up to theraputic 1.5 - 1.75 Could I move fish currently in .5 cupramine over without too much impact or is that asking for trouble?

Trying to make things as manageable as possible and keeping up with two tanks vs three would be very helpful considering I still have a healthy Biocube to care for plus keeping up with the fallow display. The fallow tank is all messed up at this point. Cyano blooming and probably Dyno next due to lack of nutrients.

I would probably keep the tang tank as is and move the damsels/hawk into the copper power with the wrasse if it’s doable. If I'm risking loss id prefer it be there vs the Tangs or Radiant.

I’ve never switched from cupramine to copper power like that, and most I’ve seen remove the cupramine before starting the copperpower in the same tank. I don’t *think* there would be issues, but maybe @HotRocks or @4FordFamily or @BigG have more insight there

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never switched from cupramine to copper power like that, and most I’ve seen remove the cupramine before starting the copperpower in the same tank. I don’t *think* there would be issues, but maybe @HotRocks or @4FordFamily or @BigG have more insight there
Yes remove all water from the tank and then start chelated copper. I wouldn’t mix other than trace amounts remaining.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes remove all water from the tank and then start chelated copper. I wouldn’t mix other than trace amounts remaining.

He’s thinking about combining fish from one tank to another. One is therapeutic with cupramine and the other is starting Copper Power. They would be leaving the cupramine and going into copper power.

All came from the same tank with velvet, so no cross-contamination concerns... just not sure how stressful it will be to go straight from one to the other.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s thinking about combining fish from one tank to another. One is therapeutic with cupramine and the other is starting Copper Power. They would be leaving the cupramine and going into copper power.

All came from the same tank with velvet, so no cross-contamination concerns... just not sure how stressful it will be to go straight from one to the other.
Sorry I didn’t read it well, I’m on Daddy duty so I’m not all here haha!

I wouldn’t worry about switching from one to the other, personally. They should handle it fine :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back