Got a ton of equipment I dont know how to use

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently traded 35 african cichlid fry and some aquarium decor for 100 lbs of live rock, an external overflow, 6-7 return pumps of various flow rates, 2 skimmers, a ton of other odds and in, additives, and a canister filter. My original plan was to do an AIO but after some huge setbacks and annoyances (and the new equipment) I was thinking of going traditional. I believe all equipment was sized for a 75 gallon tank. I have a 40B I was hoping to setup. Not sure how to determine how large of a sump and if this equipment is oversized for my tank. The pumps are likely older (Rio brand, some enheim but look to be 5 years old or older) and the overflow looks like it has 2 outputs of varying height. Either way, it was a great trade for the rock alone.

Can anyone point me into the right direction?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you scored! Don't know if I would trust a used external overflow, but I don't have any experience with them.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1910 copy.jpg

Any idea on how to start the siphon on this? 5-7 pumps worked flawless off the bat. Did a vinegar/water soak to clear off calcium buildup. Tons of reef related stuff... Always makes me question why people leave the hobby.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using and external overflow for 5 years now without any issues, but if I were you I'd toss that and drill the tank. So many options with a drilled tank and aesthetically more pleasing without all the hardware hanging off the back. I wasn't sure about the back glass on my tank that's why I went with a HOB overflow but if I could have drilled I would have.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never drilled and have a bad habit of overthinking and botching things like that. Maybe I can find someone who has done it before or stash the equipment for a larger tank a year from now or so.

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled for the first time... it was so easy, nerve racking... but easy. Just buy some super cheap drill bits off of amazon and drill away!

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the best way to get in the hobby is to ask like you have and the other is to follow build threads. Lots of people here have their build threads links in thread. Check out a bunch and see what speaks to you.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back