GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little off topic...
My father was in the hobby since the 1950's and was into breeding live-bearers and he had small tanks everywhere and a custom 100 gallon main (Corner) display the he had made in Canada. He helped me start up my first tank in 1976 when I was 10 years old. If it was not for him then I would have never fell in love with this hobby. This was the last shot I took of his custom corner and was taken in 1987. Sadly it was beyond repair.

Dad.jpg

So in 1995 Oceanic Systems helped me build my 225 gallon dream tank and I wanted to base it off my fathers custom.
Amazingly this tank is still up and running in Florida.
It still saddens myself to this day that Oceanic Systems sold out, to only be totally destroyed by "All-Glass".
Oceanic Systems displayed this tank at a reef show in Chicago and my (lfs) owner saw it there 2 weeks before I got it.

Build.jpg

Heather.jpg

Heather & Sam.jpg

Filters.jpg

Under.jpg

Over Head.jpg

0815171814a.jpg

0815171812.jpg

0815171814.jpg

0815171811.jpg

0815171815a.jpg

0815171815b.jpg

0815171816.jpg

0815171809.jpg

0815171824b.jpg
0815171810c.jpg

0815171824.jpg
0815171824a.jpg
0815171810a.jpg
0815171825.jpg
0815171817.jpg

So this post is for the memory of my father and Oceanic Systems.

Regards, GoVols

Last edited:

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at that wood frame!

It still saddens myself to this day that Oceanic Systems sold out, to only be totally destroyed by "All-Glass".
This tank went to a reef show in Chicago and my (lfs) owner saw it 2 weeks before I got it.

I had a 38(?) and 75 Oceanic and set up a few of the 58s for friends and families. Those were the go-to tanks back in the day. I was saddened when I got back into the hobby to see Oceanic Systems was gone.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrMichael @jsker
Oceanic Systems set the bar and laid the tracks for companies like "Reef Savvy".
Where would we be today if Oceanic Systems did not start the "Reef Ready" line?

That custom that they built has a 3 layer bottom and they designed the tall bottom trim for that tank to cover all the layers. Then they used the tall trim for other builds.

During the build there were times that I felt like my (lfs) and Oceanic Systems were more excited about the tank build than I was. Both of them just wanted to see it pulled off. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp,
GoVols... Stupid move of the week.

I dipped the new upper right Digtate last night in "Coral RX". I did not rinse this coral after the dip and came home this evening and now it has some tissue recession around the low flow areas of the colony were the dip sat in the tissue too long.

@hybridazn @prsnlty
If the dip has now left the polyps and tissue should the Digi be OK and the tissue recession should stop or is a massive frag off, coming up?

Thanks, Freddie

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp,
GoVols... Stupid move of the week.

I dipped the new upper right Digtate last night in "Coral RX". I did not rinse this coral after the dip and came home this evening and now it has some tissue recession around the low flow areas of the colony were the dip sat in the tissue too long.

@hybridazn @prsnlty
If the dip has now left the polyps and tissue should the Digi be OK and the tissue recession should stop or is a massive frag off, coming up?

Thanks, Freddie

Keep an eye on it. I've found that coral rx is a rather harsh dip. If it continues to worsen I would cut above the recessed tissue into healthy tissue in hopes it stops.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on it. I've found that coral rx is a rather harsh dip. If it continues to worsen I would cut above the recessed tissue into healthy tissue in hopes it stops.
Thank You!
I'm going to watch it close but it may be a frag off. :(

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does GoVols run a chiller...

First off I run and Teco TK1000 chiller / heater that is backed up to one of my Apex switches. It chills but it also heats too.
This was the first upgrade that I did for the reef. I sill keep a back up heater in my sump sat on a lower temp than the Teco.

The Chiller is GoVols insurance policy.

I was running an ole 29 gallon MH lighting nano cube back in 2008 and it was the most awesome small reef that I ever had.
That summer my family went to Florida for vacation. When we came home the next week our central heat and air had gone out and our home was at 96 degrees. The reef was a total loss. It was so heartbreaking that I did not setup the next reef until early 2010 when my wife told me she wanted a reef back in our home.

So, To this day I invest in a chiller as an insurance policy because "Life Happens".
Last summer our AC went out in our town home one morning. It happened to be the hottest day of the year. By the time it was fixed that evening our town home was at 92 degrees. The Chiller kicked in and did it's job, just purring along all the way.

So my insurance policy paid for itself in one day. :)

Regards, GoVols

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's Update:
Going threw the worst Aiptasia outbreak since 2012. As you can see they have gotten into my Blasto polyps on the lower front of my reef.
In 2012 I used Berghia Nudibranchs to do the job. And @MrMichael reminded myself of them.
So, I just ordered a (25 lot) of 1/2" long crew from Salty-Underground.

I don't feel like tearing down my scape. Also I have so many tiny ones on some of the lower rock that I'd just have to smoother the entire rock with Red Sea-
Aiptasia-X.

Hopefully these Berghia Nudibranchs will do the job for this reef like they did for my other reef back in 2012.

Regards, GoVols

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those NYOS are hot skimmers right now. :D
I'm sorry that you've battling algae issues :( and I'm still plugging away with the ABC+ with Colors C & D. :)

Is your Regal Angel still all good?

Hi Freddie - Sorry for late reply, still getting used to this site! Lol

Algea all sorted and gone after using some Vibrant. Only 2 doses over 4 weeks, all gone and looks stunning but I had sorted out the underlying cause, phosphate I believe

Yes the Regal is beautiful and has settled in really well. Oh and I've been shopping again!

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Freddie :D
So 25 1/2" bn's, that's a lot. What happens to them when they eat all the aptasia up? Won't they then starve and die in your tank?
On my local forum they are often available for free or very little $$. Hopefully you can just pass them along.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Freddie :D
So 25 1/2" bn's, that's a lot. What happens to them when they eat all the aptasia up? Won't they then starve and die in your tank?
Jackie,
25 is a lot and they will ;Dead
Unless... I can catch them boogers.

I'll let them go for free to anybody on 2r2 who pays my local reef shop to ship them.

Freddie

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my local forum they are often available for free or very little $$. Hopefully you can just pass them along.
If I can catch them. :)

Back