Great Barrier Reef, Australia - My Dive Pics

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All...

I figure it is about time I post shots of my recent dive trip to the Barrier Reef. Well, it's not that recent...it was back in April/May 2008 ;) It was such an amazing experience...once in a lifetime......well, almost .....can't wait to head back there one day!

My base of operations was Cairns....a hot, tropical city on the north eastern coast of the continent, in the State of Queensland. My dive operator was Pro Dive - one of the largest and most respected dive establishments in the area.

I chose the PADI Open-Water 5-day 'Learn to Dive' course - 2 days in class, plus 3 days liveaboard on the boat for the certification and fun dives. All in all, a GREAT deal....I highly recommend it to anyone.....met piles of people (mostly backpackers)...enjoyed waaaay too much fine aussie beer, and finally, topped it off with 3 days of excitement on the Reef.....awesome.

-Pics taken with a Canon S1 IS (3.2MP)....with a custom underwater housing
-Colour correction and processing was done in Photoshop

at Melbourne airport waiting for my plane to take me to Cairns
IMG_0087Large.jpg

IMG_0093Large.jpg

The Outback
IMG_0089Large.jpg

Pro Dive Training Centre

IMG_0096Large.jpg

On to the Reef!
IMG_0169Large.jpg

IMG_0170Large.jpg

IMG_0171Large.jpg

IMG_0173Large.jpg

IMG_0183Large.jpg

IMG_0185Large.jpg

IMG_0187Large.jpg

snorkelers, ahoy!
IMG_0190Large.jpg

STC_0135Large.jpg

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've got about 300 images to post....so, let's get it started!

keep in mind, this is my first ever dive...as such, my picture taking skills don't leave much to be desired. However, as you will see, the photos I post from my subsequent dives get much better with regard to colour and clarity :)

IMG_0014Large.jpg

IMG_0007Large.jpg

IMG_0008Large.jpg

IMG_0009Large.jpg

Green Turtle!!!!......pretty freakin amazing for a dude's first ever dive, eh???
IMG_0010Large.jpg

IMG_0011Large.jpg

IMG_0012Large.jpg

Zach.

GMaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics. I am sure you had a good time. Its been a year for me since my last dive. Just dying to get back in the water. Thanks for sharing.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya, GM. October (over a year ago) was out last time getting wet. There has to be a three day weekend to the Bahama's coming up:rolleyes:.

I'm envious, Zach. I hope to make it to the GBR at some point in the next 10 years... I've not been outside of the Caribbean, so I'm jonesin' for anything (warm) Pacific/Indian.

So... Your first dive was on the GBR? That's just not fair:).

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya, GM. October (over a year ago) was out last time getting wet. There has to be a three day weekend to the Bahama's coming up:rolleyes:.

I'm envious, Zach. I hope to make it to the GBR at some point in the next 10 years... I've not been outside of the Caribbean, so I'm jonesin' for anything (warm) Pacific/Indian.

So... Your first dive was on the GBR? That's just not fair:).

Hey...yeah the Barrier Reef was my first time diving......I was heading to Oz to make it for a friend's wedding..figured i'd go see the reef as I was so close, but knew I had to learn to dive first......I found a very sweet package and signed up...one of my best vacation decisions, ever!....not many people can say they learned to dive on the Great Barrier Reef!

I'm working on a vacation for this year....heading back to the Philippines or Thailand...last time I was there I only snorkeled...not this time!! :D

Although i'm from the Caribbean, i have no interest in diving there....not to say there aren't some sweet spots to check out (Honduras, Cozumel, the world's second longest barrier reef, etc)....for me, I want to see CORAL....for that, the Indo-Pacific is the ultimate destination, no question about it....well, that and the Red Sea.

Zach

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's the next batch

self portrait...hehe
IMG_0028Large-1.jpg

IMG_0029Large.jpg

IMG_0030Large.jpg

IMG_0031Large.jpg

massive blue-spot stingray
IMG_0032Large.jpg

IMG_0034Large.jpg

pink skunk clowns in an anemone
IMG_0035Large.jpg

IMG_0036Large.jpg

a very sweet leather.....nice yellow base, with almost white polyps....*droool*
IMG_0037Large.jpg

IMG_0038Large.jpg

IMG_0039Large.jpg

IMG_0040Large.jpg

IMG_0041Large.jpg

IMG_0042Large.jpg

IMG_0043Large.jpg

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0049Large.jpg

IMG_0050Large.jpg

IMG_0044Large.jpg

IMG_0045Large.jpg

IMG_0046Large.jpg

two maxima clams....for a size comparison, the one on the right is about 3 ft approx, measured lengthwise...crazy!
IMG_0047Large.jpg

IMG_0048Large.jpg

Zach.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Great pics. I love the beds of acropora, amazing. Looks like it was a ton of fun...

jmuzzey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome, you are a very lucky person to be able to do all that. It is one of my fdreams to be able to dive the great barrier reef one day. Thanks for sharing the pics!

BuyTheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing. I just dove there as well with my suppliers. Lots more sps than I expected.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics Zach! Must commend you for taking any pics on your first dive, but then again I pushed the limits the first time too. Really can be tough to handle the camera and do all the other things you have to do while not getting isolated from your group or buddy. Bet your hooked now!

Ocho Cinco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks like so much fun. I've never dove before but want to sooooo bad!! Especially there!

Jabis96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pictures are amazing but i think it also drives home the point why we should preserve these reefs to continue to have them for future generations!!!!

Tomasz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dream come ture!!! If my kids were older I would have been there already, but have to wait few more years before I can go:angel:.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 84 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.3%
Back