Great Barrier Reef, Australia - My Dive Pics

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure Zach can back this up. Diving will change your world. Non reef people that dive tend to look for big fishes (evident by the dive leader's focus on puffers he can make puff up and moster sized fish). Diving as a reef geek opens a new world. Zach-work on a night dive the next time you are near water. To see the millions of little eyes and feeders was pretty neat.

Tomasz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure Zach can back this up. Diving will change your world. Non reef people that dive tend to look for big fishes (evident by the dive leader's focus on puffers he can make puff up and moster sized fish). Diving as a reef geek opens a new world. Zach-work on a night dive the next time you are near water. To see the millions of little eyes and feeders was pretty neat.

I do agree with you under one condition, that you had minimum of 10+ dives under the belt. I think the first few dives you are still thinking about what to do and everything else. Once you are comfritible that is when you start enjoying that part of the world.

racerw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's the next batch

IMG_0036Large.jpg

All the pics a amazing, but this is my pick so far.

dfurbee

Nancy Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful pics!! GBR is one place I have not been to yet. Dove a lot when I lived in HI, also would like to dive off Figi, and Thailand

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow I am jealous.. That is my dream to go diving the great barrier reef... Nice pics..

Dave

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for all the kind words :)

Amazing. I just dove there as well with my suppliers. Lots more sps than I expected.

yeah...I was blown away with all the SPS on the reef; couldn't help but take pics of 'em......and to top it off i'm not even an SPS guy! hahaha

wow, DROOL on that blue stag!!! if its that blue in the ocean, imagine how blue it would be in one of our tanks!!

yeah man....blue as ever!.....it really grabbed my attention....some areas were just covered in this blue acro (a. formosa, right?)

Great pics Zach! Must commend you for taking any pics on your first dive, but then again I pushed the limits the first time too. Really can be tough to handle the camera and do all the other things you have to do while not getting isolated from your group or buddy. Bet your hooked now!

thanks man.....i knew how tough it would be to dive (i'm a very weak swimmer, too!), but i knew i would not get the opportunity to head back to Oz for a looong time, so I psyched myself up, dived in and just focused on getting the best pics I could while enjoying myself....worked like a charm :D

hear, hear! all the dive masters and divers on the boat were pretty much only interested in the fish....but i was the only one going nuts for the corals....i was naming them left, right and centre - people thought I was a marine biologist on some sort of research outing! LOL!

MORE PICS TO COME.....stay tuned, doods!

Zach

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful pics!! GBR is one place I have not been to yet. Dove a lot when I lived in HI, also would like to dive off Figi, and Thailand

oh man...HI? (that's Hawai'i?) got pics?...i would love to dive some of the lesser known islands in the Hawai'an chain....Kure, midway....oh man....everywhere else is waaay too spoiled or damaged from what I read.

Fiji and Thailand are on the top of my list, too! however, i'll prolly make it to Thailand before Fiji as it's waay cheaper to get there, I think :)

Zach.

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree with you under one condition, that you had minimum of 10+ dives under the belt. I think the first few dives you are still thinking about what to do and everything else. Once you are comfritible that is when you start enjoying that part of the world.

actually, the dive operator did take us down on one night dive.....didn't see much at all...heck, my flashlight was not working that well.

fun thing though...minutes before we entered the water for the night dive , the captain started playing the theme music from Jaws.....and out of nowhere we saw two juvy white-tip reef sharks swimming by our mooring line! freaked me out!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Zach

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fun thing though...minutes before we entered the water for the night dive , the captain started playing the theme music from Jaws.....and out of nowhere we saw two juvy white-tip reef sharks swimming by our mooring line! freaked me out!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Zach

Gotta love the old salts:D.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics Zach! Glad you got into diving too... it s a whole new world :D

I highly agree with gflat65 regarding night diving... best time ever! Its really crazy the things you'll see at night that you'd never see during the day!

Also agree with Stacey about that acro pic... too cool man!

Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a. prostrata? sweeeeeeet colouration
IMG_0068Large.jpg

IMG_0067Large.jpg

IMG_0066Large.jpg

IMG_0065Large.jpg

IMG_0064Large.jpg

IMG_0063Large.jpg

6 line Angel
IMG_0098Large.jpg

massive Titan triggerfish...sorry about the pics....he was a fast bugger!
IMG_0095Large.jpg

IMG_0096Large-1.jpg

IMG_0097Large-1.jpg

IMG_0071Large.jpg

purple sea squirt
IMG_0100Large.jpg

yellow-tail fusilier....took this shot on my descent.....these fish were everywhere....lots hanging out around the boat
IMG_0070Large.jpg

Zach

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing pics...thanks for sharing. One of these days i would like to become certified too...i love snorkeling but diving is where its at!

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome looking sea squirt
IMG_0105Large.jpg

massive 3ft cucumber
IMG_0108Large.jpg

surgeonfish
IMG_0109Large.jpg

IMG_0110Large.jpg

a. loripes or a. granulosa??
IMG_0112Large.jpg

green turtle, ahoy!
IMG_0117Large.jpg

IMG_0118Large.jpg

IMG_0119Large.jpg

just about 3ft away from him at this point :)
IMG_0120Large.jpg

IMG_0122Large.jpg

Moorish Idol
IMG_0123Large.jpg

IMG_0124Large.jpg

IMG_0126Large.jpg

IMG_0129Large.jpg

Zach

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another massive cucumber....(for size comparison....the cucumber is about 3ft long....that rock it's next to is about the size of a large SUV....it's a single massive porities sp./christmas tree worm colony)
IMG_0130Large.jpg

IMG_0131Large.jpg

Amphirion ocellaris!!! nemo!!!!!....check out that krazy anemone!
IMG_0132Large.jpg

IMG_0133Large.jpg

IMG_0134Large.jpg

IMG_0135Large.jpg

IMG_0136Large.jpg

Zach

Back