Great Barry's Reef

_Tanuki_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'Day, I'm Barry. My reef might not be great, but I am.

Dad jokes aside, (my name's not even Barry), I thought I'd document setting up my 1st proper reef.
I've run fresh water tanks for a few years and the misses convinced me to dive into a reef tank, So I converted a fresh water tank to a reef in Jan this year and quickly learned I both enjoyed it, and wanted a sump pretty bad...
So I've bit the bullet and got a Waterbox 60.2 marine X.
Currently I'm in the process of figuring out an aquascape (seems it's a completely different beat to the freshwater ones I'm used to), and deciding on the gear to complete the build.

Goals:

1- not kill anything
2 - LPS and Softie Tank.
3 - learn how to photograph my tank better, both the good, the bad and the ugly. (need to get an external light for a start...)

Current Tank:
Livestock:

2 clowns
1 Fire Goby
1 Peppermint shrimp
Coral:
1 Scolly
1 Morph
2 hammers
1 acropora
2 leathers
a bunch of zoas.

Gear I'm looking at to complete build:
return pump: Sicce Syncra 3
Skimmer: not sure yet. maybe an octo of some flavour
Light: AI 16HD. (though i hate the app, I'll keep the light for now at least)
ATO: Diy arduino I'm currently working on.

The tank arrived ok, though the QC at waterbox could use some work. the silicone wasn't great in places, and a couple of the panels came pre-scratched beneath the silicone work. The lid of the overflow also doesn't fit. I'm waiting to hear back from them on fixes, but i think I'm happy enough to live with the tank as long as the fix the lid. Overall I'm happy with the quality of it all.
This weekend I'll hopefully pickup a return pump and do a full tap water leak/system test and finalize my rockwork. Not confident on that last one though. I'm on a bit of a go slow with the rocks while I try to learn what works and what doesn't in a reef tank.

20220823-1.jpg

OP
OP
T

_Tanuki_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys :)

I flooded the tank today, and no leaks which is obviously great...
I had forgotten how much water magnifies the scape. The rockwork looks alot larger than i imagined... I'll live with it a few days and see if I want to make any modifications to it.

Meanwhile I picked up a bubble Magus 5 on the cheap as a skimmer. I was tossing up alot of options but in the end pretty much everything is out of stock here in Australia, so the decision was sort of made for me. It seems like a decent enough "no frills" skimmer with a nice small footprint.

I've decided that I'll try and cycle the display only when I'm happy with the aquascaping, as it'll take a bit of time, and I feel like I've got a bit of work to do sumpwise. I'm liking the idea of trying to have a refugium there, and it'll be alot easier to modify it now rather than later. I'm thinking I might get some custom acrylic made as a baffle for this. another option is of course egg crate, but I design products for a living, so I always seem to be looking for an excuse to diy lol.

Speaking of DIY, I'm also waiting on some blank PCB's and electronic components to wire up my arduinio ATO attempt. While I'm waiting for that I have to design the enclosure for it, and look into LED lighting for the sump area. I'm thinking I'll also build a cabinet light so I can see what I'm doing down there. It would be triggered like a fridge door, so whenever I open the cabinet door, the light will turn on.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back